PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 05-23-2011, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank

Continuing with my theme of inter-war and early war U.S. Army military vehicles, I have begun construction of the FlyModel M3 Stuart light tank. Although Charlie C has warned me that there are accuracy and other problems with the tank, I have long been impressed with the appearance of Greg Perry’s model and have the impression that this hand-drawn model is within my ability to build. Last year at the International Paper Modelers’ Convention, I bought two copies from Pete Heesch. Gil Benson won the same model, so we have an informal contest going (a la Kevin and Greg with Shermans and “larger” vehicles) to se who will actually get one built by October and the 2011 IPMC.

This will be my first 1/25 armor model. I expect progress to be slow, but will keep you informed as construction proceeds. I will also be working on some other models, mostly smaller armor, as well as some civil aircraft (the theme for IPMC 2011) and vehicles.

Here are some initial photos taken several months ago, when I started the build, beginning with one shot of my notebook as I was trying to work out how this model goes together (I have also done a rough and ready translation of the Polish instructions).

In the PTA 1/72 M3 light tank build thread, I showed some shots of my Army War College office. I have included here some shots of my home office-writing desk-work bench taken while I was working on the PTA M3. The photos on the wall above the desk are me and Lil 50+ years ago when I was a Navy ROTC midshipman at Cornell. The pirate ship is the work of Christopher (Kai), our younger grandson. You can see the garden in the background (no birds when this was shot, Glen, although there usually are quite a lot of the usual backyard suspects).

To be continued.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-stuart-000-notebook.jpg   FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-stuart-001.jpg   FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-stuart-001a.jpg   FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-stuart-001b-torachan.jpg   FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-stuart-002.jpg  

FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-stuart-003.jpg   FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-home-office-000.jpg   FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-home-office-001.jpg   FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-home-office-002.jpg   FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-home-office-003.jpg  

FlyModel 1/25 U.S. Army M3 Light Tank-home-office-004.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-23-2011, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I'm absolutely impressed! While I've never seen this kit built in person, the photos I've seen are indeed impressive and I look forward to watching this one progress. Maybe it will get me inspired to tackle some of my own armor kits!
Best of luck on this,
Chris
Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Don,
As I learned during my Chi-he build - in every tank it's smooth sailing until you get to the wheels and tracks, but effort is well worth it as those early tanks have very interesting shapes.
Good luck with the Stuart.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, Chris and Mike.

Incidentally, Greg Perry had a beautiful U.S. Army 1/25 line up of this tank, an M3 medium, an M4 Sherman, and a Ford GPA amphibious 1/4-ton truck. Very inspiring.

If I manage to complete this build, I'd like to build the M3 medium. I have the GreMir M3 Grant in British markings, but would like to acquire the old GPM M3 Lee, if anyone has one they would be willing to sell (needless to say, no scans, just original kits).

Don
Old 05-24-2011, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Way to go Don! After completing my one and perhaps only armor build of the Ford 3 ton tank I am very impressed that you are going after this one. I plan on watching all the way.

Curt
Google Adsense
Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Don you are off to a fine start with the Stewart. I look forward to seeing it take shape.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 PM

Thanks, Kurt and Kevin. I hope to make some progress with this build over the next week as the heavy teaching load of the past couple of months lightens a little and before the next book project and summer teaching preparations take over (finished a big copyediting job at 3:00 AM this morning). However, I got a little sidetracked by the appearance of Fabrizio Prudenziati and could not resist trying to build his 1/35 Carden-Lloyd Mk.VI. Although it is 1/35, it seems much like the 1/72 M3 light tank I recently finished.

Anyway, I will be working slowly (but, I hope, steadily) on this model throughout the summer and would like to complete it before the IPMC in October.

Don
Old 05-24-2011, 08:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
I think you will find these particular tracks to be easier to work with than other models' tracks. This is actually a good kit to cut your teeth on as far as the tracks go.

Greg
Old 05-24-2011, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
"I got a little sidetracked by the appearance of Fabrizio Prudenziati and could not resist trying to build his 1/35 Carden-Lloyd Mk.VI."

You beat me to it, Don. I was going to start on the Carden-Loyd this evening! But I think I'll switch to something else, knowing that I have you to sort out what challenges there may be with the kit. It's got more detail than most of the ZP kits (with the exception of the ships) and I wonder if Mr. Prudenziati is planning to do more kits, especially armor?
Best of luck on both these kits and please post pics of the Carden-Loyd.
Chris
Old 05-25-2011, 06:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Off to a good start, Don. I have this kit and will follow your build closely.
Fine vehicle to see modeled.
Google Adsense