PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-22-2011, 08:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Douglas DC-5

One aircraft, that has always lacked in exposure is the DC-5, developed by Douglas as an improvement of the DC 3, but meant as a feeder liner, and therefore a shorter range than the DC-3 was envisioned. A number of airlines both in the US and Europe ordered the aircraft in 1939, including KLM, but when the Second World War broke out in Sept 1939, all were cancelled, except for KLM. They took delivery of 4 which were employed in the Dutch West and East Indies.
I am going to scratch-build this aircraft in scale 1:66,7, to fit in with the Fokker F-II and other period aircraft of the 50's. I think I'll be using a system of a central longitudinal horizontal and vertical bulkhead, with circular frames perpendicular to those. Perhaps I'll construct rings to fit over these frames, I am not sure yet.
Anyway, first I need to print out side and top views of wing and fuselage in the correct scale, and then find the midwing chord relative to the central fuselage bulkhead, see pic 1. With red dots, I marked the prismatic part of the fuselage, which is shorter than I anticipated, The rest of the fuselage is therefore curved. The blue dots mark the position of the mid-wing on the fuselage.
The wing, see pic 2 has a constant chord mid section and two tapered outside panels. I put tentatively the outlines for the spars in the topview drawing, a straight spar in front, and an angeled one at the back. I will then glue these drawings to cardboard, and then I need to determine the position of the circular frames.
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-5-1-1-side-view.jpg   Douglas DC-5-1-2-front-wing-plan-view.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
I had not known of this aircraft. I'll be watching with great interest. Thanks for sharing!

Curt
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Wow, you sure are right about recognition, I never even heard of that. You seem to have all of the information, so your off to a good start. Where did you get your line drawings? They are superfine.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon10 View Post
One aircraft, that has always lacked in exposure is the DC-5, developed by Douglas as an improvement of the DC 3, but meant as a feeder liner, and therefore a shorter range than the DC-3 was envisioned. A number of airlines both in the US and Europe ordered the aircraft in 1939, including KLM, but when the Second World War broke out in Sept 1939, all were cancelled, except for KLM. They took delivery of 4 which were employed in the Dutch West and East Indies.
I am going to scratch-build this aircraft in scale 1:66,7, to fit in with the Fokker F-II and other period aircraft of the 50's. I think I'll be using a system of a central longitudinal horizontal and vertical bulkhead, with circular frames perpendicular to those. Perhaps I'll construct rings to fit over these frames, I am not sure yet.
Anyway, first I need to print out side and top views of wing and fuselage in the correct scale, and then find the midwing chord relative to the central fuselage bulkhead, see pic 1. With red dots, I marked the prismatic part of the fuselage, which is shorter than I anticipated, The rest of the fuselage is therefore curved. The blue dots mark the position of the mid-wing on the fuselage.
The wing, see pic 2 has a constant chord mid section and two tapered outside panels. I put tentatively the outlines for the spars in the topview drawing, a straight spar in front, and an angeled one at the back. I will then glue these drawings to cardboard, and then I need to determine the position of the circular frames.
Ahoy scon10
A very good and unusual subject to model. the DC-5 is the begining development of the DC-4 and C-54 skymaster. Long ago durring boyhood I build a U copntrol model of one of these old birds. I cracked it up when i did a wing over I failed to apply weight to the starboard wing tip hit a puff of wind and she winged over on me missing me by 5 feet powered by 2 McCoy 35 engines. but I will be watching your build with great entrest and it might inspire me to build one too. Have fun my man you got us all spinning on this unusaul build .

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Douglas DC-5-78-44.jpg  
Old 07-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Rare, but nice looking aircraft all the same.
Google Adsense
Old 07-22-2011, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.42 MB
At least one of the Dutch DC5s was captured intact by the Japanese, flown back to Tachikawa and tested in IJAAF colours.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Also the early Israeli Air Force operated one of these aircraft from 1948 to 1955, registered as VH-ARD which was the early British registation format ( today it starts with 4X ). It begun its life with KLM in the Dutch West Indies and may have been the same aircraft. It also served with Pan-Am ( unless it was the same aircraft for all 3 operators ).

Anyhow, interesting aircraft that really did not make it in any significant numbers.

Isaac
Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
Hello!! Great build , where is it gonna be availaBle when finished?
Regards.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 264.09 MB
Sorry, this model will be scratch-built, so there is no kit.
I am building this model based on plans available from the Dutch Modellers Association NVM,
NVM - Nederlandse Vereniging van Modelbouwers
They have a large 3-view plan web shop, for aircraft, ships and other subjects, and they have an English site.
Thanks all for your interest, updates will come soon.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Also the early Israeli Air Force operated one of these aircraft from 1948 to 1955, registered as VH-ARD which was the early British registation format ( today it starts with 4X ). It begun its life with KLM in the Dutch West Indies and may have been the same aircraft. It also served with Pan-Am ( unless it was the same aircraft for all 3 operators ).

Anyhow, interesting aircraft that really did not make it in any significant numbers.

Isaac
That registration would be quite marketable these days, especially with certain pharmaceutuicals...
Google Adsense