PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
That easy, huh...

Many thanks, Mikhail!

Leif

PS. And what, pray, is "TRUZHENNIK"? Is it "workhorse" or something like that?
Old 08-16-2008, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 79.6 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif Ohlsson View Post
"TRUZHENNIK"? Is it "workhorse"
Yes, exactly. A transport aircraft widely used along with Li-2 (licensed soviet DC-3) and Po-2 as described in the paper
Old 08-16-2008, 03:55 PM

Thanks, Mikhail. While browsing through the members' photo galleries, I notice that you put up several of your models as early as March this year. I am ashamed for not having noticed.

Anybody curious, go here for Mikhail's three albums so far:
mgolovanov Gallery - Paper Modelers Gallery

Leif
Old 08-17-2008, 05:24 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Thanks for all the insightful input And now I have a strange hunger for cabbage soup...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
As happens so often to me on this board, I stand amazed at the quality of the work and what can be achieved with paper.
Google Adsense
Old 08-26-2008, 02:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.27 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgolovanov View Post
Yes, exactly. A transport aircraft widely used along with Li-2 (licensed soviet DC-3) and Po-2 as described in the paper
Leif,

Are you aware of the Szcze-2 published by Orlik? Very interesting airplane and a very nice model. The number of parts is intimidating to say the least. For example: you can build engines in three different ways, one of which includes assembling cylinders from many, many disks printed on regular paper. In many ways it is an innovative model, including its beautiful print without black outlines around many parts, notably the fuselage and the wings.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:41 PM

Popala, yes I have it, and I have worked on it quite a bit on the computer. (That's what triggered my Russian language question - "cabbage soup".) Have rescaled it to 1/16, and divided up the parts on new print sheets almost completely.

But I put it on hold when I couldn't figure out in my head how actually to accomplish the inner/outer layers while building up the fuselage one segment after another, while simultaneously inserting the floor and chairs as you go along. Too little control over the process for my rigid mind.

Also, I got to ambitious and started planning for all sorts of LED lights in the passenger/cargo cabin & cockpit. Planning for invisble wiring in the formers, from the fuselage out to the engine pods, almost burned a couple of brain fuses.

Finally, scanning and rescaling it resulted in a rather coarse colour structure (printing paper pattern interfered). After reading Mikhail's blog (and here comes the rationale for hi-jacking his thread; please excuse us Mikhail...), I realized that I would have to recolour the whole model (and probably redraw it) from bottoms up. That renewed my interest, paradoxically.

The last thought I had was to make it in natural finish, since it is an all-wood aircraft (which was what triggered my interest in the first place).

I think it is, like you say, a most interesting and fascinating model, much more interesting then the gunships which flood the papermodel market. If I'm going to build another military aircraft, why not try this workhorse which found a civilian use after the war, I thought.

An attractive thought is to make it half wood-patterend structure, and half post-war Yugslavian civilian colours and markings.

If only there were some photos of those Yugoslav Sche-2s ("Cabbage soups").

If you're planning to build the model, please keep in touch (or even better, write about it). I'd sure like to see someone try it. It's such a pretty aircraft, much more advanced in fact aerodynamically, than you'd think from its humble status in history. If you do, I've searched the net for photos & drawings (a couple, but you'll find them easily enough yourself, I'm sure).

Did you know that the first films from Berlin conquered were flown home to Moscow in a Sche-2?

Leif

PS. I got some photos of Polish post-war Sche-2s which aren't that easy to find (courtesy Wilfried in this thread at Kartonbau.de). Source: Samoloty transportowe. I added the only other image I've found. Not much, right? I'll throw in an Orlik white-build photo for good measure...
Attached Thumbnails
A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-szcze-2_01.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-szcze-2_02.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-szcze-2_04.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-sche_2.jpg   A6M2 Zero (A.Halinski, 3/2005) completed-p1010327.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 08-26-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's a very pretty airplane. I hope SOMEBODY builds it!

Don
Old 08-29-2008, 08:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 18.27 MB
Quote:
Popala, yes I have it, and I have worked on it quite a bit on the computer. (That's what triggered my Russian language question - "cabbage soup".) Have rescaled it to 1/16, and divided up the parts on new print sheets almost completely.

But I put it on hold when I couldn't figure out in my head how actually to accomplish the inner/outer layers while building up the fuselage one segment after another, while simultaneously inserting the floor and chairs as you go along. Too little control over the process for my rigid mind.
I have to admit that it looks like a challenging build in 1/33 scale so I imagine the challenges multiply quite a bit in 1/16. The fuselage construction is what made me pause and pick the Ju-52 over the Szcze-2 (little did I know how demanding the Ju-52 fuselage turned out to be...).

Quote:
Finally, scanning and rescaling it resulted in a rather coarse colour structure (printing paper pattern interfered). After reading Mikhail's blog (and here comes the rationale for hi-jacking his thread; please excuse us Mikhail...), I realized that I would have to recolour the whole model (and probably redraw it) from bottoms up. That renewed my interest, paradoxically.
I'm very happy to hear that, I really, really, really hope to see you build it

Quote:
I think it is, like you say, a most interesting and fascinating model, much more interesting then the gunships which flood the papermodel market. If I'm going to build another military aircraft, why not try this workhorse which found a civilian use after the war, I thought.
I would love to see much more passenger and cargo planes on the market. I started building the GPM Ju-52 because I think of it as a beautiful airliner more than an instrument of war. I would like to see more of this type of airplanes on the market: Ford Trimotor, Lockheed Constellation, C-46, DC-7, Fokker F-2, F-7... The list is long and distinguished.

Quote:
If you're planning to build the model, please keep in touch (or even better, write about it). I'd sure like to see someone try it. It's such a pretty aircraft, much more advanced in fact aerodynamically, than you'd think from its humble status in history. If you do, I've searched the net for photos & drawings (a couple, but you'll find them easily enough yourself, I'm sure).
I think you will build it before me. I have not touched a model in 6 months, since my son was born (the little guy in my avatar). Although I hope that when he gets older he will help me make up the lost modeling time by building along side his old man

Quote:
Did you know that the first films from Berlin conquered were flown home to Moscow in a Sche-2?
I did not. Nor do I know much about any other interesting feats of this airplane but you did spark my curiosity and I will try to find more info on this craft.

Quote:
PS. I got some photos of Polish post-war Sche-2s which aren't that easy to find
In the short write up about the history of Szcze-2 the author mentions that the Polish air force flew this airplane without the wheel pants and many would remove the cowlings. I never thought of that again until I looked at the pictures you attached. Thank you very much for those.

Paul Opala
Old 08-30-2008, 03:49 AM

Hello Paul, (and very nice to get a first name to that handle!)

Only one thing, which is something I'm always trying to get across - building in 1/16 is much easier than the original scale. That's the reason I've tried it a couple of times. I couldn't for the life of me achieve anything like the masterpieces others accomplish in 1/33.

At very close to double the scale (206 percent) thickness of paper and stiff card works fine. For * use 1mm, for ** 2mm. And use slightly thicker paper (200g or more) for parts.

The additional work is in rearranging parts on new sheets on the computer. This I've done many, many times (without building the models so far). I suppose it's a matter of temperament. I simply like tinkering with that, it seems.

I do so wish I could encourage more to try it. The models are worth it, and it is easier to achieve a stunning result. Nothing like contemplating a big, museum-like, model slightly swinging to and fro up there in the roof.

Leif
Google Adsense