PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-09-2008, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Experimenting with kitbashing

I'm sort of looking at the Maly Modelarz Sopwith Camel (1/33 scale), since it is the only reasonably detailed Camel there is. The Sopwith Triplane, as well as the SE5A, both exist as highly detailed Orlik models in the better 1/25 scale. A Sopwith Pup in this range would be very nice!

I'm thinking about enlarging, to my usual 1/16 scale. The MM Camel is really admirably suited, since all parts fit nicely into A4 paper size, even in 1/16 scale - which is very rare!

The MM Camel is nice in other aspects as well. The level of detailedness is very reasonable, and you can still choose between two versions, with different colour schemes. Since I decided not to be a history freak this time, I'm thinking of mixing the two versions, to yield the nicest looking Camel to my mind.

However, in some aspects the MM Camel is just a tad sparsely detailed. The two Vickers guns, as an example, are hardly more than a box and a tube. So I decided to have a look at the guns of the most highly detailed version of a paper model kit I know of, namely the Orlik SE5A.

I attach the result of the text below. I will build two new guns, after having tried out the correct amount of doubling and 2mm fillets required to give a good result in 1/16 on this trial version.

The level of detailing in these high-range models (the Orlik ones, not the Maly Modelarz) is really frightening. The kitmakers even require that you cut out a number of small taps and bolts. I'm glad the Camel is more sensibly detailed.

I will try to emboss the cooling mantle in the two new guns. Otherwise I'm pleased (but for the work involved!). What I'll never be able to make is the sighting frame (the circular wire pattern with a cross and a small circle inside). Tried it twice and failed abysmally. Anybody ever succeeded to make one of these?

My Camel will have to be equipped with an Aldis tubular sight. I attach a nice sketch I found on the internet what it should look like when finished (except for the ring sight...).

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Experimenting with kitbashing-orlik-se5a-vickers.jpg   Experimenting with kitbashing-vickers-4.jpg  

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 12-09-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2008, 04:54 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Nice Choice...,

Hi Leif,

Been wondering where you've been. Good to see you back!

The Sopwith Camel is one of the penultimate aircraft of WWI. The Maly Modelarz is a great choice for a 1:16 scale up. I agree that the Orlik SE-5a, although complete, seems to be over designed for the representative scale. I think that one has to contemplate what features identify with the overall "theme" of a model's presentation for a successful outcome.

The Vickers machine gun is very nicely done. They'll look good on the Camel. The double circle gunsight does present a challenging build task. Single strand silk thread, concentric circles, sticky substrate for assembly setup...,

+Gil

Last edited by Gil; 12-09-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Welcome back Lief! Your builds are always both enjoyable and highly educational,... at least for a builder of my modest abilities.

Cecil
Old 12-09-2008, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Very nice gun Lief. A model all by itself.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I don't think anyone would mind if one were to go the photoetch route for the double ring gunsight.

Currently working on: ISS
Google Adsense
Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee4752 View Post
I don't think anyone would mind if one were to go the photoetch route for the double ring gunsight.
There appears to be a heretic amongst us....

Ray

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 12-09-2008, 10:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Do you have a straight-haired child?

I've had very good luck with simple crosshairs of approximately 2mm using cigarette paper to roll up the rings and a few lengths of hair from child#2 (child #1's is too curly, and the cats are not cooperative) attached with CA glue.
You could do the same thing with 2 concentrig rings and then clip out the hair in the centre
Old 12-10-2008, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I did a gunsight on the Knoller build over at the other site. I soft beading wire and spiral wrapped it to the correct size, overlap cut it and then tweaked it all into line - this to get a nice circle. I think that I used some superfine polyester basting thread that you can get at a sewing store. It is so fine that it really isn't good for much. However, if you want to put the tiny inner ring in then you are on your own and I will applaud your efforts.

Carl
Old 12-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Used the hair from my Husky on the Paperwerks P-40 when I did it......... I also used thin copper wire to make the ring, as detailed by GB.

Next time I"ll use very thin copper wire I got from taking apart a "dead" hard drive....... amazing what you can find in those things.

My Drawings
Old 12-10-2008, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Lief, I did a gunsight for a P-40 using floss stiffened with CA glue and formed around a small dowel. The crosshairs were human hair attached with CA and then trimmed. I also once used fine lead wire formed around a dowel, stiffened with Elmers glue and painted silver for a radio DF ring.

While the results aren't perfect, they were good enough for my models.

Cecil
Attached Thumbnails
Experimenting with kitbashing-p-40-2001_cr.jpg   Experimenting with kitbashing-goose-2002_cr.jpg  
Google Adsense