PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 01-07-2017, 06:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
No worries about speed, you're doing great. You shouldn't have any problems with wings going onto the spars.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 01-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
We don't time your progress on a model. As long as you're enjoying making the model that's all that's important. Have fun.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 625.64 MB
Alright; the turtle continues to plod along! Thoroughly enjoying the process.

Over the weekend, I was able to cut and assemble the starboard wing structure and put the top and bottom surfaces on. A story of loosing a few parts, but I ended up building the starboard engine before I even cut out the starboard wing.

I ponder how much of a difference white glue is making on this versus other options with less water--but I will learn that over time. I appreciated the tips on using paint brushes from you all earlier. I am now using a Grumbacher paint brush as my main applicator.

My main point on this project is to learn. But also to some experience on a subject I can stick with given my meager time resource. I have a personal interest in the Concorde. My grandfather was fortunate to be able to undertake some unique travel experiences in his retirement, and flew to France twice on the Concorde. I really wish I knew exactly which planes he flew on-- the trips were a fond memory he spoke of several times. We have some pretty planes now, but the Concorde is really and commercial aircraft don't do mach 2.

I am amazed how the pieces come together on this kit (not that I have much basis for comparison). The wing curvatures that emerge from the thoughtfulness of the design give me a an insight into the obvious thought the designers of this model poured into their design. There aren't many parts, but all the essential features are there for this to look great: even if things don't come together perfectly (because of the builder).

I am satisfied that between the main fuselage, and both completed wings, this is starting to look like a plane!

Perhaps I will finish this build in the coming month.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie Concorde Build-img_3361.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-img_3365.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-img_3366.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-img_3367.jpg  
Old 03-14-2017, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 935.52 MB
You're doing great. I love the idea of pushpins on a cork board to hold parts down. Thanks for the idea.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 03-14-2017, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 425.39 MB
Nice build so far. I did the Concorde too as one of my starters...
Heres the thread: Concorde from Ralph Curell and Erik te Groen 1:144
Maybe you can get some clues...

Currently building: Colonial Viper from Uhu02
Finished:
Yoav Hozmis Kfir
Google Adsense
Old 05-15-2017, 09:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 425.39 MB
Any news here? Just wondering whether this fine bird is finished

Currently building: Colonial Viper from Uhu02
Finished:
Yoav Hozmis Kfir
Old 06-18-2017, 12:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 625.64 MB
Mission accomplished: build complete.

McTschegsn, mission accomplished! I finished my newbie Concorde build. Another model for my son's ceiling. Build time: well over a year.

Many lessons learned, among them: despite normally being super organized, even with a relatively small model it is easy to loose parts over a year. I think I reprinted several pages of the model 3 times.

The importance of a consistent cutting strategy—I learned to have the cut fall right at the part edge. Also that many light cuts are better than one or two heavy cuts to cut a part out; and that an Xacto can be used to 'chisel' out small parts. Though I wonder if there is a better tool than standard Xacto for “chiseling out” super small parts. I learned that I like the paint brush as a glue applicator.

Being one of my first builds, it was satisfying to anticipate how the parts would go together and then be surprised by how elegantly some of the parts *actually* went together. In the end I elected not to do yet another reprint to add a few little bits. I really do look forward to building another in the future and probably at a larger size. Or perhaps with landing gear, the runway base, and a wire through the fuselage to angle it as if at takeoff or landing.

I have uploaded a few more progress shots. And a few shots of the finished model. I got in close to show the model faults and all. In all, I had fun and my appreciation goes out to that Ralph Currell and Erik te Groen for providing a wonderful and free model.

As I wound this down (over 2 months ago as I write this!), I started the Currell Titanic and a new build thread will be forthcoming.
Attached Thumbnails
Newbie Concorde Build-nose-assembly.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-tail-1.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-tail-1-5.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-tail-2.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-tail-3.jpg  

Newbie Concorde Build-finish-1.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-finish-2.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-finish-3.jpg   Newbie Concorde Build-finish-4.jpg  
Old 06-18-2017, 06:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.62 GB
Wow! That looks amazing!
Old 06-18-2017, 07:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great.

It also looks as if you have had some experience with stick and tissue models, or at least, some other form of modeling.

Looking forward to your next model.

Don
Old 06-18-2017, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
That's a very nice build.
Great to read that you enjoyed it. That's the more important thing in a hobby that requires patience as this one.

Google Adsense

Tags
build, concorde, currell, erik te groen