PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-24-2023, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
According to this cutaway https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3f/99...ac16702baa.jpg the leading edge was taken up with fuel tanks so it likely made the retractable landing light the only possibility.

I highly endorse putting extra reinforcement on skins, even if these means slight surgery on the formers. If you pre-curve the skin any additional layers will help it keep its shape. It also means that panel lines and rivets can be scored if desired without danger of disintegrating the paper.
Old 11-02-2023, 09:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Outer wings-2

Thanks Siwi and ReynoldsSlumber for the feedback on the landing lights. It is interesting to note that the drop-down lights in the model are in a different position than in your info, and I haven't been able to find an actual Lightning picture that matches the lights in the model. There are pictures available of the historical Porky II but not with the landing light details for as far I could find.

Wing skins have been glued now around the internal structure, as well as the wing tips. Navigation lights on the upper/lower sides of the wing tips will be highlighted by adding a drop of white glue on them, to make them look like light bulbs. Internal wing structure had to be sanded lightly with fine sand paper, and although the wing skins had to be tightly wrapped around the structures, the fit is just excellent.

I'm glad to have reinforced the wing structures (with exception of the wing tips), as it helps to get a good firm shape. That's why it took so long to prepare the wings.
I experimented with both gluing reinforcement patches on the inside skin, to fit in between the spars and formers, and patches directly glued in between the ribs and spars. I must say that carefully pre-shaping the wing skin and gluing the patches on the inside provides slightly better results, despite the fact that it requires more work as the patches have to be fitting exactly in between the voids.

Next are the outer wing flap bays, similar to those of the already built inner wings, and then the engine sections that connect both inner and outer wing panels.

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9179.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9180.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9181.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9182.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9183.jpg  

P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9192.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9193.jpg  
Old 11-02-2023, 10:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
I like the internal structure of the wing. Should make it smoother when finished.

Isaac
Old 11-02-2023, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 865.44 MB
I agree with Isaac. Looks great and the Fowler Flaps will look sweet too.

Dan
Old 11-03-2023, 05:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 924.73 MB
Perfect and extreme precise fit... great
Google Adsense
Old 11-03-2023, 07:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hello Erik ,

a very fine artwork !!!!!

Kind regards
Kurt
Old 11-22-2023, 09:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Outer wings-3 and engine cowlings/structure

Thanks gentlemen, and apologies for the radio silence in the past weeks. Little time to spare on modeling these days but although progress is slow, it's steady.

The outer wings have now been completed, at least for the time being. Flap bays are finished and the (outboard) flaps will be installed in the final stages of the build.

Then come the tail booms, starting with the engine cowling sections. First, the internal structure. In true Halinski fashion, they're very elaborate and one must pay very good attention to use the right parts. Especially when there are only minutes per day left to continue the build, mistakes are easily made. Herewith the progressive build-up of the structures. The design is very ingenious: the longitudinal part, kind of the backbone of each structure, will be cleverly wedged in between inner and outer wing panels, thereby securing the right dihedral of the wings and exact position of the forward section of the tail booms.

In the mean time I've also started with the cowling skins and couldn't resist the temptation to do a dry-fit of the various parts. This was a "wow moment". Excellent fit and an impressive wingspan.

Next will be the continuation of the cowlings, with the oil cooler inlet and outlet ducts as a true challenge.

Regards,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9293.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9198.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9199.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9200.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9206.jpg  

P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9207.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9208.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9310.jpg   P-38H Lightning, Halinski 1:33-img_9311.jpg  
Old 11-22-2023, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.90 MB
Amazing work Erik.
I can see that the model is very detailed with a very complicated structure.

Well done my friend.

YOAV
Old 11-22-2023, 10:47 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
I agree, those are complicated.
But you are a master with the "smooth fit".
Old 11-22-2023, 12:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.57 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
The design is very ingenious: the longitudinal part, kind of the backbone of each structure, will be cleverly wedged in between inner and outer wing panels, thereby securing the right dihedral of the wings and exact position of the forward section of the tail booms.
Fancy how the wing skins slot into the boom structure. Looks like a rigid frame for a durable model, superbly crafted!
Google Adsense

Tags
1:33, halinski, lightning, lockheed, p-38h