PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Enjoy, it is only a movie, not a history lesson.
I have to respectfully disagree, Isaac. I understand what you are saying, that we should just enjoy it/them for their entertainment value, but when the subject is a historical event, they should do their best to stick to the facts of that history. Embelish it, maybe but change it, absolutely not. If they want to change the facts, they should leave the historical subjects alone and go make a sci-fi.

I know I'm passing judgement on the production before it's even out the starting gate but I honestly did cringe when I read the OP.

My galleries
Old 10-07-2011, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis7485 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree, Isaac. I understand what you are saying, that we should just enjoy it/them for their entertainment value, but when the subject is a historical event, they should do their best to stick to the facts of that history. Embelish it, maybe but change it, absolutely not. If they want to change the facts, they should leave the historical subjects alone and go make a sci-fi.
I was a high school teacher for 8 years and some the things the kids thought were history made me cringe because I knew they were getting their "facts" from TV and the movies.

Oh, I remember one SOB of a teacher who likened the American use of the atomic bomb to the Holocaust!!! I was furious beyond control and I never get that way!!! I stormed into his classroom in front of all his students and berated him in just short of foul language (mindful of teenage ears), something no one ever does to a teacher in front of his/her class. I took over the class, telling the students not to listen to this idiot. The poor stupid guy was in total shock. I gave a short, but incisive recap of the actual events and the socio/political atmosphere of the time. The students loved it! I was a well-known loose cannon on deck in the school anyway.

Since I had committed such an egregious act upon a "fellow" teacher, I marched down to the principal's office and told him what I had just done. My principal, a retired Army field grade officer, smiled, thanked me, and later fired the teacher!!!

If I had control of the strings, I would make the producers include a warning on "historical" movies: This photoplay is just a bunch of BS. It's only relation to the real historical events is the name, and we're not even sure we got that right!

On the other hand, there are quite a few that try to get it as right as the mores of the time will allow. Sam Fuller, a combat filmmaker during WWII, was famous for his authentic and gritty dialogue, but refrained from the graphic depiction of gore, even in his biographical masterpiece, Big Red One.

Spielberg, on the other hand, did not shy away from the gory depiction of the terrors of combat in Saving Private Ryan. I remember seeing it for the first time; the opening invasion scene brought tears to my eyes and still affects me even after several viewings.

BTW, you know when you are talking to a real combat vet. There is no bravado. There are only tears and a choked voice as he or she recalls the events and friends lost. For so many, the only peace they will ever enjoy is in death.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Movies are not history lessons

A movie is not a documentary! Its purpose is not to teach history. It conveys the message of its makers.

Last edited by Isaac; 10-07-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
A movie is not a documentry! Its purpose is not to teach history. It conveys the message of its makers.
That's certainly one opinion. Unfortunately, not everyone got the message. There are those who believe what they see on the screen to be the unexpurgated truth AND they have the same vote as you or I!
Old 10-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Some people used history in a distorted way. The leaders to distort and the sheep to follow.

Not sure you can convince or correct either.

That is all I have to say. Now back to building models. You may continue if you wish.
Google Adsense
Old 10-08-2011, 01:11 PM

Most of the aircraft used in the making of "The Battle of Britain" were actually Spanish built versions of the ME-109 and the HE-111, which had been phased out of service at the time. Worst movie for fakery I've ever seen was the re-make of "The Memphis Bell"! Any simularity between that and the real story of the Memphis Bell (Which still exists and is on display in Memphis by the way!) is purely coincidental!
Old 10-09-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleswlkr54 View Post
Most of the aircraft used in the making of "The Battle of Britain" were actually Spanish built versions of the ME-109 and the HE-111, which had been phased out of service at the time. Worst movie for fakery I've ever seen was the re-make of "The Memphis Bell"! Any simularity between that and the real story of the Memphis Bell (Which still exists and is on display in Memphis by the way!) is purely coincidental!
I was under the distinct impression that the Air Force Museum had reclaimed the Belle. For years, it was on Mud Island...one of the worst places to store anything metal.

Yes, I just checked; the USAFM has it. I will be on display with two other vintage B-17s when restoration is complete.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleswlkr54 View Post
Most of the aircraft used in the making of "The Battle of Britain" were actually Spanish built versions of the ME-109 and the HE-111,
An interesting aspect of the making of the Battle of Britain was that they made 1:1 scale fibreglass models of the Bf-109s, Spitfires & Hurricanes (front half only-rear half made of wood and fabric as the original) were made for the film and appeared in UK museums for many years. The "Bf- 109" models were copies of the Spanish Hispano HA-1112-M1L rather than real Messerschmitt "Emils". NB. All Messerschmitt designs before 11 July 1938, when Willi Messerschmitt took over Bayerische Flugzeugwerke, should be Bfs not MEs, although even in Nazi Germany both styles were used.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:08 PM
Eternal Member

If you look closely at saving private ryan you will see one of the jeeps has an irish road tax disc that was out of date when they done the movie and the guys when they were driving it back to dublin afterwards were stopped by the Gardai. The gardai in fact seized it as it was out of date the tax for more than three months cost them more to get it back than they got for allowing it in the movie.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctormax View Post
If you look closely at saving private ryan you will see one of the jeeps has an irish road tax disc that was out of date when they done the movie and the guys when they were driving it back to dublin afterwards were stopped by the Gardai. The gardai in fact seized it as it was out of date the tax for more than three months cost them more to get it back than they got for allowing it in the movie.
Can you be more specific as to when in the movie this occurs. I love looking for production "fails."