PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.62 GB
That Was Some Sneeze

Somebody must've sneezed really hard!

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
That Was Some Sneeze-ahh-ahh-.jpg   That Was Some Sneeze-choooo-.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
What a gorgeous old wooden house. Just the sort of thing Mauther would make a model of ... PLEASE!

Johnny.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The resident ghost must have allergies.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:52 AM

I've been watching this house for about 6 years now, its about 3 miles away. When they built a Dollar General next to it, someone was still living there. From what I can gather, it had a fire (look for the smoke stains), was abandoned, and had the siding stripped. Recently, the town put that "X" on it, with a "Not To Be Occupied" sign as well. Some new state regulation, the "X" means "Fire Department, don't enter to fight a fire unless life is at stake, dangerous inside".

Now it looks like someone's tired of looking at it, and its coming down. If you want to see what it looked like when it was still occupied, go to Google Maps, look for the Dollar General store on Route 104 west of Route 259 in Clarkson, NY, and go to "Street View". The pix haven't been updated since 2007. I'll take some screenshots myself, later, if anyone's interested. I have a couple more pre-demolition shots, too.

Scott K.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
It just really bums me out to see beautiful old houses like knocked down and then some cookie cutter tract house, or 2 put up in its place.
Google Adsense
Old 04-24-2013, 10:41 PM

That bothers me, too. There's no telling in this case, what will replace it. Several others down the road from it were just knocj=ked down for a new Hess gas station.

Meanwhile, here's a picture of my favorite abandoned house, the Barber-Chestnut house. This one is about an hour away from me to the south, at a crossroads almost in the mniddle of nowhere. The picture is from 1960, when it was occupied, but it looks almost the same now, minus almost every pane of glass, and a couple of 2nd floor porches. Info on it here; The Barber House, here; abandoned Victorian home on Short Tract Road - Topix, and here; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...RSpkBm9M8zeixQ.

I've been watching this one for over 25 years. I've taken many pictures, and even went inside once. Fascinating place. I have a model planned, eventually.

Scott K.
Attached Thumbnails
That Was Some Sneeze-abandoned-barber-house-portage-ny-1960.jpg  
Old 04-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
The last picture reminds me of the house at the beginning of the old Scooby Do kids programme - half expect to see bats flying from the windows. Nice building !