PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 02-28-2011, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
What Printer to Get

Hi All:
I need to get a new home printer and I was wondering what printer people on this list are recommending that would be good for paper model printouts on card. I imagine that one with a straight through feed would be best if such a machine exists. I would also like it to be an all in one machine (fax, scan, print). Also, what do you think of a laser color printer vs an inkjet. Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!
Barry
Google Adsense
Old 02-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Eternal Member

Epson Workforce 1100...ron
Old 02-28-2011, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I agree with the Epson 1100. It has a nearly straight-thru feed, and handles paper size of 12x18 inches with ease. As well, continuous ink systems are readily available and cheap (yes, I consider $30 cheap when it is as much as the robber barons want for a single OEM cartridge). The downside is all it does is print....but it does that extremely well. It has been my experience that multipurpose machines rarely perform as well as single-purpose machines.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:28 PM

I was researching printers the other day and have found that many websites agree that a good and cost effective printer is the Epson Artisan 50. I've also found shops that sell refillable ink cartridges with an auto-reset chip so all your expenditures would consist of ink and syringes to refill them. I do not personally own one though so this is only an inference from research.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Epson Workforce 1100 with CISS system installed if you plan on building lots of models or designing. Very quick payback on the CISS. I got my CISS from Inkproducts.com worked as advertised and good service and delivery. I have refilled the bulk containers once since I got it. No problems to date. Photos show Ink lines routed inside cover with the replacement cartridge in place.Seccond photo ink storage tanks. Third photo the cut I made in the side to rout out lines so cover shut completely after installation. Good Luck, and stay away from lasers.

Last edited by mldixon; 03-01-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Google Adsense
Old 03-01-2011, 09:03 AM

I did a ton of research myself just recently and came to the conclusion that my next printer was going to be the Epson Workforce 1100 with a CISS system installed.

HOWEVER
Be aware that one of our members (Bagpiper) just went through a nightmare with one company "selling" CISS systems (see this thread) so right now the running opinion seems to be that InkReloaded.com/Ultragamut.com is not a company to do business with right now.

When I have the funds, I plan to get my CISS from CISinks (see this link)
Old 03-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Eternal Member

Thanks Mike for showing the installation of the CISS system. I was reluctant
about removing the printer cartridge door but as you explained you have to
get over the fear of damaging the printer. As you stated it is difficult but
doable. I also like your cutout so the top cover would close completely.
Thanks for sharing.....Ron
Old 03-01-2011, 12:32 PM
Banned

The Electronics forum I belong to has been using CISInks for a very long time. The Epson 1100 has an excellent reputation. The Ink is manufactured in ISO 9001:2000 Certified Factory. That actually means something. Auto reset chip.

Continuous Ink System for Epson Workforce 30 310 1100 with Ink CISS CIS

This is the set up for my printer, they are all pretty similar. YouTube - High Quality Ink from CisInks.com Epson NX415 CISS (Continious Ink System)

$59.99 with Ink.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Mike, how did you remove the cover for the cartridge carriage?
Old 03-01-2011, 02:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Mike, how did you remove the cover for the cartridge carriage?
Small screwdriver left side of the top, pry carefully, and remove. The plastic stub is 4mm or slightly over 1/8" if that helps. You will feel like you are gonna break something, but you gotta just keep going. Then it will come out with a little tug. If you prefer take a razor knife and get into the gap and press down hard this will cut the pin and the top will just come out. Of course you can't replace the door at this point, but it dosen't matter cause the CISS systems work with the door removed. Good luck
Google Adsense