PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > First Cuts; A Lounge

Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Another Conversion Question!

Sorry to be such a pain in the donkey; but now I am trying to figure out how to convert a 30mm model to a 1/48th scale model. I know that at least 1 or 2 of you model gurus know how to do this. Please???
Thanks in advance,
Larry
Google Adsense
Old 06-09-2010, 04:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
This site TMP All About Scales has a chart that lists a 30mm scale model as 1/54th scale.
So:
54/48 = 1.125 x 100 = 112.5% so print the 30mm model at 112.5% of its current size to convert it to 1/48th
Old 06-09-2010, 04:34 PM

WOW Doug.
I have been modeling for some 50 yrs. and currently have an in-process On30 railroad layout. This chart sure does confuse me even more as I have always thought my stuff was 1/48th scale but according to the chart my stuff SHOULD be 1/43.5 scale. Guess I'll have to do some more research before starting anything.
And by the way, that enlarging I was doing yesterday was with my Adobe.
Thanks for the chart,
Larry
Old 06-10-2010, 06:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
You have to keep the figures used for the math in mind with that chart .
It uses the
Quote:
"eye height" of the average man, measured in millimeters. The number we use is 1610 mm (about 5' 3")" to do the computions.
I have seen some places use the height to the top of the head for an averages size man for the computations. Then you have to figure if the average is based on a worldwide sampling on on a local sampling. Then you have to start pulling out your hair because there is just too much information to deal with and my dog hasn't been fed yet!!! :D

There is not much difference between 1/48th and 1/43.5 scale. It is probably not even noticable. I use that chart as a quick reference instead of scrambling around looking for multiple references that agree with one another.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:52 AM

1:43.5 or 7mm to the foot is used in the UK. In Europe it is 1:43 .. in the US it is 1:48
Google Adsense
Old 06-25-2010, 12:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Try this: Scale Conversion Calculator - Jimbob-Wan's I can't live without it. ......well, I could. But, life would be much harder for me.
Old 06-25-2010, 01:10 PM

I hope no one objects to me putting this scaling question here, rather than starting a new thread...

A friend asked me to design a paper model of his house. It's an old one, and a one-of-a-kind around here. I've measured the house out, and drawn a quick plot of it. This is the problem... For ease of drawing to specific measurements, I drew it in a graphics program at 100 DPI, rather than in an architectural drafting program (which I don't have any more)... 1 pixel = 1 inch.

My question is this: How do I scale up the drawing in my graphics program to get the size model he wants? I was specifically asked to make it a little less than one foot cubed. He wants each elevation to fit on a single 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper for ease of construction. I figured out that the scale is going to be somewhere in the area of 1/80, but I ain't got a clue how to translate the drawing...

Any ideas?
Old 06-25-2010, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I'm probably doing this wrong, but if 1 pixel= 1 inch, and you want 1:80, then make 1 inch on the model equal 80 pixels

say the house is 100 feet on one side (I hate math)

1 px= 1 in x 1:80= 80 px (Not an actual equation)

80 px x 100ft x 12in= Make the model 96000 pixels on that side (how big is a pixel anyway?)

Did I just calculate how many pixels the actual house is?

I knew I was doing this wrong. Mayday!
Old 06-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
look REALLY REALLY close on your monitor - see one dot? Thats how big a pixel is heh heh

sorry I cant help with the question though, got a headache reading it... you have two pixels one in new york, the other in San Francisco. One is traveling at light speed the other somehow goes as fast as a quark. When do they collide? Yeah - math aint my thing!
Chris
Old 06-25-2010, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer525 View Post
I hope no one objects to me putting this scaling question here, rather than starting a new thread...

My question is this: How do I scale up the drawing in my graphics program to get the size model he wants? I was specifically asked to make it a little less than one foot cubed. He wants each elevation to fit on a single 8.5" x 11" sheet of paper for ease of construction. I figured out that the scale is going to be somewhere in the area of 1/80, but I ain't got a clue how to translate the drawing...

Any ideas?

Lancer, I don't know if this will be possible or help even if it is possible.

Monitor resolution is not important here. It's what your getting out of your printer that matters.

Can you print at 100% on your printer either a complete elevation of the longest side of the house? Even if it takes a page or 3. Take all the pages that are required for the longest measurement and tape them together if there is more than one sheet.

Measure it in inches/mm what ever unit you like, inches will be easiest. probably. Then if it's larger than 11 inches (the maximum dimension of the sheet you want to print it on) and divide the max. measured house/drawing dimension into 11 and the number you get will be the % you have to reduce the drawing to just get it to fill the 8.5x11 page. If you want a little wiggle room, divide the house measurement into 10 or 10.5 instead, depending on how tight you want the fit on the page to be.

Hope this helps,

Swampfox
Google Adsense