PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Found it on the internet

Old 03-14-2012, 08:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
I am very greatful for the insight you've provided us in the model design and release process for this particular model, Nava Designs. I am not clear, however, on who is doing the test build of Roman's model...I got the impression it was a wooden ship modeler, and not someone who is necessarily familiar with card modeling, is that true? I thought David Okamura was somehow involved in this process, and he is certainly one of the best choices for a test builder for a card model, but now I am not sure.

Naturally, we are all very interested in seeing this model released, and appreciate the lengthy process that desiging and releasing a model takes, particularly one that is very involved such as a square rigged sailing ship. Your input and participation in this thread is so very helpful and informative, for which I thank you.

I look forward to your further updates, particularly in your design of the less complex model. I would be very interested in your providing further insight in your design process, if you have the time and are able.

Thank you again for providing information on this design project.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava Designs View Post
Oh, and there may not be round masts. The museum's model group had a hard time forming Mr. Detyna's masts, so they've asked for an alternative. I personally think that round masts are always the way to go. Since I'll be using thinner media, I'm going to have them try forming the masts again, along with some alternative versions. The alternatives will not look as nice as rounded masts, but, again, the call is up to the museum.
My I suggest this method for making round masts.

http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/tips-tricks/6461-method-easily-make-1-mm-paper-rods.html

Though they will not have the taper of a mast or yard it will be better than a square shape which I assume is what will be used in place of the round masts
If you check out a baking supply store you will find the lollipop sticks in several diameters. They could be painted with simple water colors which would be safe with kids.
For the more experienced modeler I suggest that you take the printed part and calculate the required diameter of the rod and form a rod to that diameter less 2X the thickness of the paper. Then glue the part on to the rod (works better with 24lb paper then 67lb). If you are really nuts you can peel the printed surface off of the printed 67 lb card stock and glue that on the rod. The last method will make a seamless part.

Jim Nunn
Old 03-14-2012, 10:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I'm not sure if David Okamura is involved. The name rings a bell now that you've mentioned it. The museum's model-building group does typically build wooden ships, so paper models are definitely new to them.

You can read an incomplete (I need to finish it some time) look into my normal model building process on my website. The San Salvador is a little different in that there is no CG model to work from. I have to be extra careful to make sure that the pieces fit and align just right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakopious View Post
The knife slipped and hit my left wrist and got the artery.

Blood shot about 15 feet and hit the TV screen in the living room.
Ouch! You should try having a 13-pound, pissed-off cat latched to you left arm with all 4 sets of claws & a full set of fangs all fully embedded. Then, carry said cat 25 feet and try to get him back inside the house while he's still attached. I think I left a trail of blood.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 101.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nava Designs View Post
I'm not sure if David Okamura is involved. The name rings a bell now that you've mentioned it. The museum's model-building group does typically build wooden ships, so paper models are definitely new to them.
Maybe you recalled my comments on your old "Trader Sam" blog.

Great to see you here! Yes, I was test-building the San Salvador, but I had to curtail all side activities after Mom fell and fractured her pelvis last December. She's recovering nicely, so hopefully I can resume work soon. I was about to start the hull planking, but I was able to add some feedback before my "hiatus".

When I first learned that Roman was the designer, I knew this was going to be a first-class model, but I also worried that it would be far too advanced for a "weekend project". I did warn that a sailing ship is one of the most difficult subjects to build in paper, due to the complex curves in the hull. Masts, rigging, ratlines and sails are also intimidating for a novice. For a simplier "beginner's model" I recommended something more like the (still very nice) ships on the Canon paper models site, possibly a waterline version. But two-dimensional masts and sails can still be a problem, since they are inherently flimsy and not very convincing

I am very pleased that the San Diego Maritime Museum contacted you for the young student version. I know your work very well, and your designs, artwork and instructions have always been excellent. Concerning the masts, for simplier but still sturdy masts, why not triangular cross-section box beams? Strips divided into six thin sections can be creased, rolled into shape and then glued together -- you only need to add glue to the last section. It might be easier to eliminate the mast taper -- I rolled Roman's masts around trimmed shisk-kabob skewers without much difficulty, but since the taper is along the entire length of the mast the bottom end is ever-so-slightly wider than the hole in the main deck. A novice trying to jam what is essentially a thin paper drinking straw down an even more narrow hole is likely to get frustrated when the mast buckles under the pressure.

Good luck with this project! I look forward to seeing your progress.

David T. Okamura
Old 03-15-2012, 04:13 AM

Ah-ha! I knew I read that name somewhere before!

I'm leaning toward six-sided masts. I'm just now starting to see how small this model is, which is not the size that I normally work with (ask David), so rolling may be out of the question entirely. I know about the lollipop/q-tip technique, but I really want that taper. It makes a big difference.

I always tend to try to keep things simple, and ask as little as possible for people to have to pry open their wallets for extra materials (not to mention hunting them down). My motto is "download, print, build," so most/all materials should already be in the home (mainly paper, glue, & scissors).

If you missed it, I posted the first photo on Twitter yesterday afternoon. I didn't expect to be test-building anything so soon. I've only been working on this for less than a week.
Google Adsense
Old 03-15-2012, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
I love your webpage, Navadesigns.net, quite impressive and inspirational work throughout! I see mention made of a Nava Designs store, but don't see to find any links to it...maybe I am missing the buttons or something....

David, so very glad you have a hand in the test build; as I mentioned I can think of no one else who would do a better job! I am sorry to hear of your Mom's fall, but glad to hear she is doing better.

It would be wonderful to learn of further updates when time permits from each of you, but I think everyone knows this is a long and very time consuming process, especially when life pokes it's head in from time to time...this is something I am keenly aware of myself.

Cheers!
Jim
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM

The store link is on the left menu, at the bottom. Not much there since it only recently opened. I got tired of Etsy's clumsy system after about a month.

And, I apologize for hijacking this thread. It wasn't my intention.

Hope your mom is doing well, David.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.19 MB
I don't know wha t size the masts are going to be, but tapered bamboo chop sticks are available in oriental stores and might be an option....
Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 528.35 MB
I pick up the bamboo sticks at the $1 store they come in a bunch of diameters, and in bags of 50 or so. Last time I went, they had an 8 pack of wood dowels for $1. 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8. 10" long. If nothing else they will be great for rolling tubes.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:37 PM

I tried to get an updated release date on the San Salvador. No word. They're probably getting tired of answering that question. I'm sure we're not the only ones asking, so I can only imagine how it could get annoying after a while.

I got my Slice Precision Cutter in today! I can't wait to try it out an write up my thoughts on it. It seems pretty sharp, it's definitely much safer than a metal blade, and you can safely hold your fingers very close to the blade tip. It's not replacing my X-acto blades by any stretch, but it'll be nice to see how it works. As a bonus, there's the following in very tiny text on the back of the box: "A portion of your purchase price is donated to fund Autism research." That's a nice touch, and I wish it was more pronounced.

Thinking of the masts, which I will be working on soon, I don't see why I can't provide both simple and complex versions. I'll have to see what the museum says.