PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > HOWTO: Use the forums

Old 10-21-2009, 05:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 15.04 MB
Smile Building models from scratch info please

Hi all,

Just a question on making model buildings like the ones found at Railwayscenics.com site; I have both Sketchup7 pro and also 3DSmax9.

My problems are NOT!!, in the making of the model proper, NO!!, its more after that, in as much as, getting it to scale down to 1/76 scale that's "oo" scale here in the UK, and also, getting textured faces, brick etc. etc., to correctly be affixed to the surfaces.

I am conversant in how to attach textures in both software packages, but, not it seem, in getting them to correctly go to the scale required; hope this is understandable...thanks regards tom...........
Google Adsense
Old 10-21-2009, 02:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I think what I need to know so that I can help you is, how well do you know Max?

For now, once you have your model built and exported to whatever your unfolding program is, your mapping coordinates on all of your work will go with the model. When you scale the model down in the unfolding program, have a reference object in that scene that is 1'x1'. You can use that reference object as a check to ensure your scale works out.

For placement of textures on an object, I would again have to know your level of understanding of Max because we are dealing with UVW mapping and UVW tiling to get texture scales.
Old 10-21-2009, 03:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 15.04 MB
Smile

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick reply, my level, mmmm, started with 3DSmax 6 and gone on from their, I have for some years now made and textured 3D models for simms such as Trainz for one AURAN inc.

Hope from the above you can see that I do know my way around so to speak lol lol, tho!!!, some tools are not used by me as, not needing to uses them , they lay dormant shall we say, but rap unrap maping etc.etc. is all ok with me.

My main problem Iguess is that, if my model say a building is 15ft tall and say 10 deep and 10 wide, am I still creating as per 3D 1 equals 1, or, is it a case of finding scale say 1/76 and model in thows measurments??; and then textureing say walling to affix on to walls, its the end result when unfolded, seems to be either to large or small on the final card stock to cut from when printed out, I use PSP7 as the final, but, can uses PDF creator, hope this gives you better understanding of my problem mate....

Grateful thanks and best regards to you and yours Steve,

Tom........