PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds

Old 09-12-2023, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 236.99 MB
Star Trek Akira-Class by Zosho

Hi, I would like to build the Star Trek Akira-class ship from Zosho however I am a beginner. I have built a few pokemon models from pokemonpapercraft but nothing like the starship i want to build. How am I supposed to glue it together without tabs? That may be a stupid question.
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2023, 11:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I am not familiar with that model, but I hope someone will be able to assist
Old 09-12-2023, 12:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Not familiar with that model, but usually when no glue tabs are included with the part something called a glue strip is often used. It is a narrow piece of paper or card that is glued along the seam of two parts. Usually glued lengthwise to one part then the other part is glued on, closing the gap. Good for flush joints in fuselages or rocket bodies.

Otherwise plain butt joints are used.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 236.99 MB
Oh I see so I assume that you make these strips yourself cause there isn't anything like that in the template. Thanks for the info
Old 09-13-2023, 03:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Backstab View Post
Oh I see so I assume that you make these strips yourself cause there isn't anything like that in the template. Thanks for the info

Correct. Really the designer should include tabs of some kind but they are not hard to make, just measure the edge and make a strip. It is recommended that the sides of the glue tab are sloped away from the foldline so that there will be no problems with overlapping tabs on corners, you can see this on practically all models.
Google Adsense
Old 09-14-2023, 12:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
Akira

I have built a version of this ship. I think it had gluetabs though. I have a bigger version of it made by a banned member who didn't use tabs either. And thought you were weak for asking for instructions for building his models. Brilliant designer, though.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 693.05 MB
I used the lines that the model have to indicate where it should be folded as a guide so that, before cutting the pieces, I can add flaps to glue.
Old 09-15-2023, 09:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
Akira

Here is a picture of the one I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Star Trek Akira-Class by Zosho-20230915_224214.jpg  
Old 09-16-2023, 06:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
I've built it at 70% size, a picture appears in my introductory post https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/69365-post1.html
With a bit of practice, you don't need tabs, just do flush joints. It's easier if you first apply small rectangles or strips of scrap paper behind one of the edges, half protruding and half glued. Then glue the other edge to the protruding half (if the glued area is long, it's easier if the scrap "tabs" don't at first completely cover the edges; when the first glue is dry, just apply additional "tabs"). If the parts are cut precisely, flush joints are much smoother than if tabs are used - especially useful at the curved North and South "poles" of the saucer section. Took these pictures right now:
Star Trek Akira-Class by Zosho-20230916_213139_50.jpg
Star Trek Akira-Class by Zosho-20230916_213209_50.jpg
To be honest, the Akira-class was one of my first builds, I'm sure I could do a much better work of joints today.
BTW I customized some Zosho models with particular names and NCC numbers, I don't remember if that's the case here.

Several experienced builders just cut off tabs if present. Search the archive and you'll find many suggestions regarding flush joints.
Old 09-16-2023, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
In this post https://www.papermodelers.com/forum/262675-post25.html I built a nearly spherical part. Notice I only left the original tabs where the part touches the main hull, the rest are flush joints.
Google Adsense