PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 02-10-2013, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
9 March Carlisle Army Heritage and Education Center Paper Modelers' Event

Due to the current budgetary constraints, the annual Army Heritage Days will not be held at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center at Carlisle Barracks, Pennsylvania this May. We hope that this is a temporary issue and that the Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days event will resume in 2014.

However, there WILL be a paper modelers’ event at USAHEC. The same gang that puts on the annual Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days (with the very welcome addition of Ken Moore and Peter Ansoff) will give a presentation and demonstration of paper modeling and military history at USAHEC on Saturday, 9 March 2013, from 1300-1500 (1:00 PM to 3:00 PM).

Here is the link to the press release: The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)

Mike Scalingi, John Glessner, and I will speak on the history of paper modeling and its relationship to military history, after which Mike, John, Rick Steffers, Anne McCombs, Kevin Stephens, Gil Benson, Ken Moore, and Peter will demonstrate paper modeling techniques, display models, and respond to questions at work stations set up in the lecture room.

We have received generous support from CharlieC of Landships II (who is making available a special link to U.S. Army WWI and Interwar armored fighting vehicles that will only be available to those who attend the event) and Cliff Button of Paper Tiger Armaments (who has provided special Army Heritage editions of selected models at past events and who is making available a special link to a model of the M113 ACAV). Glen Volyn, Greg Perry, Rob Tauxe, Dave Winfield, Leif Ohlsson, and Jim Gausman have been very generous with advice and images for the presentations. And, of course, Karl (Bloody Knife) Warner, the Official USAHEC Paper Modelers Wrangler, has been the driving force behind this event.

If you have appropriate images of old military paper models (including model soldier flats), paper models being used in table top war games, as identification models, or other military/military history applications, please send me a PM.

This is the USAHEC Website: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/

Here are directions to USAHEC: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/AHEC/directions.cfm

There is a cafeteria in the building and I think you will also want to visit the USAHEC’s main interactive exhibit, “The Soldier Experience.”

We are excited about the 9 March event and, while we are sorry that Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days has been cancelled, we can hardly complain when the same budget issues have caused the indefinite postponement of the scheduled deployment of the Truman Carrier Strike Group: http://www.defensenews.com/article/20130206/DEFREG02/302060020/Official-U-S-Navy-carrier-fleet-cut-one-Gulf?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

We hope that those of you who live within striking distance of Carlisle, Pennsylvania, U.S.A. will join us on that day.

Don

PS: The B-24 referred to in Karl's press release is the John Dell model of B-24D-10-CF, “Princess,” serial 42-63962, which was an aircraft of the 506th Bomb Squadron, 44th Bomb Group, flying out of Shipham, England, except for temporary duty from June to November 1943, when they were transferred to North Africa to participate in the Ploesti missions.

Kevin Stephens built the model, and we were fortunate to have veterans of the 44th Bomb Group sign it during Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2010: Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Day 2010 Carlisle, PA (Scroll down to Post #29)

Last edited by Don Boose; 02-10-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 02-10-2013, 02:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Promises to be an interesting day.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
The best of lucks, Don...

Looking forward to see photos, videos, etc.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Many thanks for your own contribution to this event, Gerardo. Cami and Mike Mash have also weighed in with images and support. We are looking forward to this opportunity to meet Carlisle-area modelers and to spread the word about paper modeling to a wider audience.

Don
Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 AM

We are on track for this event.

Those who come to see us will be given access to special models: a jeep from Design Group Alpha, an M113 ACAV armored assault vehicle from Paper Tiger Armaments, and a 1/24 scale free-lance 1940s pick up truck in Army Heritage and Education Center markings from Cami (Camille Morin). The DGA jeep and the PTA U.S. Army M3 light tank will be available as handouts.

Bomarc and I will speak briefly on the relationship between paper modeling and military history, DrLaser will explain rollation in a manner suitable for both rocket scientists and Cub Scouts, and Anne McCombs, Rick Steffers, Kevin Stephens, Ken Moore, Gil Benson, Karl Warner, and Peter Ansoff will demonstrate the paper model craft. We will have lots of models on display. You can also visit the USAHEC museum interactive exhibit and take a look at the outdoor history trail. There is a cafeteria in the building.

The event begins at 1:00 PM and runs until 4:00 PM

Directions: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/AHEC/directions.cfm
Google Adsense
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Don
I've been looking forward to this event for quite a while.
I will be demonstrating paper modeling techniques on the infamous Dragon Wagon. You will finally get to see it up close and personal.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
I will be there also i will be be bringing my patrol boat diorama i talked my mom and step dad into bringing me since my dad cant he is going to clevland to see bon jovi in concert
Old 03-07-2013, 03:15 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, USA, one state away from Almost Heaven.
Total Downloaded: 0
This is looking like it is going to be a very well attended event! I just learned local news will be interviewing me on Friday for a spot on the evening news the night before the event!

The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) (event page)
Old 03-07-2013, 06:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
I wish to all of you guys the very best for this event.

Cami
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM

Many thanks for you very generous help in supporting the event, Cami!

Thanks also to Landships II, Paper Tiger Armaments and Design Group Alpha.

There was a nice article about the event in the Carlisle Sentinel and this evening, when I went to Office Max to have the two handout models (PTA M3 Light Tank and DGA jeep) reproduced, Cara (who is making the copies) exclaimed: "Oh! This is for the paper modeler event at the Army Heritage Center! How nice that we will be a part of it, too!" So the word has gotten out (Keep in mind that Carlisle is a fairly small town).

Don

Last edited by Don Boose; 03-07-2013 at 07:38 PM.
Google Adsense