PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 05-19-2014, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It's the morning after the wonderful event.

I will do a write up tomorrow and post images, but for now, a heart-felt thanks to John Dell, Anne McCombs, Don Weeks, Kevin Stephens, and John Glessner for bringing and displaying their models, for patiently answering the questions of the throngs of visitors ("How long does it take to build one?" "Is it really made out of paper?" and, most important: "How can I get started doing this?"), for participating in the "Military History Through Paper Modeling" presentation yesterday (where the questions were of a different kind ("How do you get that rubber effect on the wheels?" "What kind of adhesive do you use?"), and for being such good friends and colleagues.

I can think of few greater pleasures than to sit for a day working on a paper model with Kevin Stephens building a Dragon Wagon on your left, Don Weeks building a Douglas Skystreak on your right, chatting, sharing tools, reminiscing, and having DrLaser, Rick Steffers, Anne McCombs, and John Dell walk over now and then to chat. And to occasionally have a couple of 1943-era 82nd Airborne Division troopers, a Union cavalryman, two lovely ladies in hoopskirts, a French Poilu, or a German Alpine trooper, men and women who have actually served in Iraq, Afghanistan, Bosnia, Somalia, and best of all, eager kids who ask how they could build one -- that's icing on the cake.

Thanks again to all of our supporters and those who contributed material to the presentation, and all who have sent good wishes (I will believe that Greg Perry is alive when I see him cutting, scoring, folding, and pasting in Sterling, Virginia, in October).

And special thanks to Colonel Matt Dawson, the Director of the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center, to Karl "Bloody Knife") Warner, the Official USAHEC Paper Modeler Wrangler, and to all of the terrific staff of the Center for inviting us to participate in Army Heritage Days, for their unstinting support to us during the event, for their assistance to our historical research, and for helping to tell the U.S. Army's story - one Soldier at a time.

Here are just a few images. I will post more images tomorrow, but now I have to head for DC for a seminar on Arrian and the Historiography of Ancient Warfare.

1. Kevin Stephens, Jack McCombs (in the background), DrLaser (kneeling) and John Dell: “Well guys, according to this 23 January 1943 Boeing shop note . . .”

2. Don Weeks (rockpaperscissors), who occupied the foxhole on my right, at work on his recolored FG Douglas D-588-I Skystreak (the subject of his build thread (http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/28893-1-72-douglas-skystreak-recolor-fg.html).

3. Two of Cami’s models built by Greg Perry (said to be alive and living in Iowa). Cami also designed and donated to the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center a pickup truck in Army green and USAHEC markings that is made available at the USAHEC website from time to time.

4. Rose Glessner (who has participated in every one of these events and in the International Paper Modelers’ Conventions in Sterling, Virginia, built her first model (a DGA jeep) during this event.

5. Kevin Stephens, who occupied the foxhole on my left, at work on the famous Dragon Wagon how you coming on that SCUD launcher, Greg?).

6. Joe Golden’s Tintoys in company with Jim Gausman’s Vietnam-era U.S. Army Beaver in the markings of the 18th Otter (18th Aviation Company US [utility aircraft]). All built by Kevin.

7. With Anne and Jack McCombs and Don Weeks in the background, John Dell answers some technical questions for a lieutenant in the World War II-era 82nd Airborne Division [“We’re All-American and proud to be / for we’re the Soldiers of Liberty, / Some ride their gliders to the enemy / others are sky paratroopers . . .].

8. Two Union generals discuss Kevin’s CV-35 (“Now, if we had had a couple of these at First Bull Run . . .”).

9. How would you like to spend two days watching rockpaperscissors build a model and then, at the end, say, “Don, I’d like you to have this.”? Wow! I will post more pictures of the completed model in Don’s build thread tomorrow.

10. One of the permanent exhibits at USAHEC. The trench line comes alive periodically, when the reenactors arrive.

More tomorrow,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_01.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_02.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_03.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_04.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_05.jpg  

Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_06.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_07.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_08.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_09.jpg   Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_11.jpg  

Last edited by Don Boose; 05-19-2014 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Admin in the process of Administering

And during the event, Rick read every single post in the Forum, as he does every other day of his life. In between promoting paper modeling to all and sundry.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2014 - 17 and 18 May-ahd14-02_12.jpg  
Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
And during the event, Rick read every single post in the Forum, as he does every other day of his life. In between promoting paper modeling to all and sundry.
In the photo, the HMMWV (next to the laptop) and the big truck (behind the Canon Lion Dance). Any idea where those models be found/bought?

Otherwise, very cool collection of photos and history. Nice to be able to put faces to names.

Thanks for sharing!

Niki
Old 05-19-2014, 06:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
Thanks again to all of our supporters and those who contributed material to the presentation, and all who have sent good wishes (I will believe that Greg Perry is alive when I see him cutting, scoring, folding, and pasting in Sterling, Virginia, in October).

3. Two of Cami’s models built by Greg Perry (said to be alive and living in Iowa). Cami also designed and donated to the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center a pickup truck in Army green and USAHEC markings that is made available at the USAHEC website from time to time.

5. Kevin Stephens, who occupied the foxhole on my left, at work on the famous Dragon Wagon how you coming on that SCUD launcher, Greg?).
The mystery of my existence will have to remain until next year I'm afraid.

Glad I could provide Cami's models in assembled form.

The scud launcher is on indefinite hiatus. I am building something equivalent to Kevin's Dragon Wagon. Look for my "project in three acts" for more on this.

And I'm writing this in my parents home in PA as I have arrived here one day late for the Carlisle festivities for a week of meetings in DC before another week of meetings in Italy.

greg
Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikischutt View Post
In the photo, the HMMWV (next to the laptop) and the big truck (behind the Canon Lion Dance). Any idea where those models be found/bought?

Otherwise, very cool collection of photos and history. Nice to be able to put faces to names.

Thanks for sharing!

Niki
Niki,

The Hummer can be bought at Paper Model Store
Paper Model Store

The Box Truck is from Victor Gutierrez
He has posted them to the file section of the PapermodelsII file section.

I have asked Mike Hungerford if those file are still available there, if not, I will ask Victor if we can host the models here

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense
Old 05-19-2014, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
It looks like a great turnout sorry i could not have been there hopfully next year
Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
I have gotten permission from Victor Gutierrez, to upload his trucks models, and the FMTV 2.5 ton truck is uploaded

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 05-20-2014, 09:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Very nice article here:

12 Pieces of Tech That Turned the Tide At Normandy

Niki
Old 05-20-2014, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.31 MB
My wife and I had a great time on Sunday. It was good to see some folks again as well as finally meeting others. It was especially nice to meet the non-paper modeling spouses, Don’s wife Lil, John’s wife Rose and Anne’s husband Jack. I know my wife was happy talking cats with several of you. And Don’s paper modeling presentation was quite excellent. And it is always a pleasure to see everyone’s modeling work up close.

I can highly recommend if you are in the area to check out the The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center. It is an impressive facility. The World War I trench set up was particularly well done. Plus there is a nice collection of armor, artillery and helicopters on display.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
Great people, great models, it seems you had a very nice event. Thanks for the report and pictures Don.

Greg, it always is a pleasure for me to see my models built by someone else. Apparently you did a great job on them!

Cami
Google Adsense