PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Day 2010 Carlisle, PA

Our Paper Modelers’ Forum will have a display table at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (AHEC) Army Heritage Day in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, on Saturday and Sunday, 15 and 16 May 2010. Kevin Stephens (KCStephens), Greg (modelperry), Mike (bomarc), and I will be there and there is a chance that silveroxide will also be able to participate.

Here is the Army Heritage Day Website: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/HertiageDays.cfm

And here is the thread about last year’s Papermodelers’ Display: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/museums-air-shows-events-get-togethers/2879-16-may-2009-army-heritage-day-paper-modelers-display.html

This was the AHEC feedback to Paper Modelers from last year’s event: "The addition of the Paper Modelers to USAHEC's Army Heritage Days has been nothing short of fantastic. You all did such a superior job last year with the audience and by the looks of this year's proposed schedule you will once again "wow" our visitors. We really appreciate your support of our event and your generosity to our visitors. Sincerely, Jack Giblin, Director, Visitor and Education Services, USAHEC”

With the generous support of several designers and vendors including Jim Gausman, Design Group Alpha, Ryan Short and Lbirds.com, Cliff Button and Paper Tiger Armaments, Fiddlers Green, Chris Gutzmer, and ECardmodels we will be giving away sample card models of U.S. Army aircraft, vehicles, weapons, and equipment to the visitors.

And as part of the Paper Modelers participation in the 2010 Army Heritage Day event, one or more door prizes will also be given away each day of the event. Each prize will consist of a commercially available model kit of a US Army subject and the cardboard stock needed to build the model. Currently, the prizes are scheduled to be a WAK M3A1 Stuart in the markings of the 1st Armored Division in Tunisia December 1942, a WAK M24 Chaffee in the markings of a unit belonging to the 2nd Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron 1945, an M3 Lee, a PMI P-47 in natural aluminum finish, and a WAK P-38. Prizes are subject to changes and additions.

All paper modelers are invited to participate by displaying models, or just by coming by to see the models on display and enjoying the Army Heritage Day activities and visiting the Military History Institute reading room in Ridgway Hall (USAMHI Homepage) -- a great place to do research for future models, to learn about your own Army ancestors and relatives, or to make use of the vast collection of documents). There will also be a sale of used military history books by the AHEC Foundation.

If you live anywhere near Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, we hope you will stop by to say hello and to enjoy the Army heritage Day activities.

If you would like to participate by displaying models and demonstrating paper modeling techniques, please send me a PM so we can coordinate your participation.

We look forward to seeing you!

Don Boose
Google Adsense
Old 04-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
As a teaser, I plan on bringing the following:

In progress Sherman
In progress Scud Launcher
In progress Dingo (maybe)
Type 5 Chi-Ri
T34/76
Ford GPA (this one I was building at the show last year)
M3 Stuart
Type 1 Chi-He
SS Bremen
QE2
Antonio Pigafetta (italian destroyer)
Scipione Africano (italian cruiser)
CSS Hunley

In case you are wondering, the Bremen and QE2 are being included because they were used to carry troops during their lifetimes.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 25.92 MB
Have the best shows!!!

And post gazillion photos, please...
Old 04-29-2010, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Wish I could be there - but I expect to see lots of pictures.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
I've been looking forward to this event for a long time. I had such a great time last year sharing stories and talking with many people about our great hobby I could not wait for the month of May to roll around again. I think everyone that I spoke with was truly amazed with what they saw. Most people had no idea that paper models even existed....I can't even begin to recall how many times I heard "That's made out of what?...paper????.... Noooo....No way"

In addition to our paper model display, AHD has much more to offer, there are literally several hundred re-enactors depicting soldiers day to day lives from just about every major war from the American Revolution up to and including the present day. The many outdoor life-size dioramas are fabulous. My personal favorites are the WWI trench system and the WWII Motor-pull....oh, and then there is the Omaha beach landing with the Sherman tank.....and the Civil War encampment ...Oh , and I can't forget the.......(the list just goes on and on) Plus you have a chance to get up close and personal with many of todays modern AFVs that BAE has on display...The whole thing is just awesome.

Then there is the food, I can't forget the food...BBQ of all kinds...hot sausage sandwiches...home made French fries...Funnel cakes...Ice cream.....believe me you won't go hungry!

So, with that said, I hope some of you have a chance to stop by and say hi. It's always nice to put a face with a name around here....Hope to see you there.
Google Adsense
Old 04-30-2010, 01:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 23.50 MB
Hi Don,
unfortunately my calendar tells me that will not pass that way for that date.:D
I'd like to see representation and also enjoy the models of many friends.

All my personal best wishes for the event.

Orazio
Old 04-30-2010, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Quote:
Then there is the food, I can't forget the food...BBQ of all kinds...hot sausage sandwiches...home made French fries...Funnel cakes...Ice cream.....believe me you won't go hungry!
Thanks Kevin . . . I had just gotten over not being able to attend this wonderful event and you had to mention the food.

Hot sausage sandwiches ummm goood.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:11 AM

And based on the list of models that Greg is bringing, we will need the extra tables that AHEC has offered (even without the Dragon wagon that Levin is going to build someday as a display platform for his GPM Sherman).

Don
Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
hi my dadis thinking about taking me that weekend ohh boy ohh boy ohh boy
Old 05-01-2010, 01:21 PM

If you and your Dad are able to make the event, mchale, be sure to bring the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine.

Good news: silveroxide will be here with his horse drawn vehicles, including the limber, caisson, team, and McClellan saddles, as well as other models, and Dr Laser will also make an appearance on Saturday with his superb models.

Just heard from Chip Fynn, who sends good wishes and confirms that we can use the new version of the Fiddlers Green L-4 as a handout. Chris Gutzmer is also sending some pre-printed models.

The Army versions of Jim Gausman's U-1A Otter will make their premier appearance on Army Heritage Day. Jim has gone to great lengths to assure the accuracy of the markings, including lots of contact with guys who flew Otters in Vietnam and some extended communications with the curator of the Army Transportation Corps Museum, who crawled all over their airplane with a tape measure.

And sometimes the stars just align right. Kevin has mentioned that he is bringing his model of "Princess," B-24D Liberator 42-63962 of the 506th Bomb Squadron, 44th Bomb Group. Can it be a coincidence that the 44th Bomb Group Veterans Association is one of the big supporters of the Army Heritage and Education Center? I expect there will be a couple of 44th BG vets there to take a look at Kevin's model.

Don
Google Adsense