PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Contests, Competitions, and Challenges > Old Troll's Did Anyone Ever Actually Build That CONTEST

Old 02-01-2008, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Don;
The Hampden is looking better and better all the time! I better hurry up and get my Lysander going or I'll be too tempted to start my Hampden! Good luck with the wing skins!
Chris
Old 02-01-2008, 08:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Chris -- You have a Hampden, too? I have mixed emotions. I wish you would hurry up and build it and solve my wing problem, but you're such a terrific modeler that your will put my effort in the shade!

Gerardo -- The book that I am currently working on has the working title of "Over the Beach: Army Amphibious Operations in the Korean War." I wrote it under contract for the Army G-3 and turned the manuscript in last summer. I am hoping that it will now be published, but there is no commitment by a publisher yet. We had some discussion about a couple of my previous books in another thread. The one that is most likely of interest (and affordable) is a reference book on Army forces in the Korean War (http://www.ospreypublishing.com/titl...hp/title=S6216). You can get it for less via Amazon and Rick found a copy for $5.00 at Alibris, but they do not currently have it.

I'm not sure how we get the Norwegian bonus. Johnny is keeping it a secret.

Don
Old 02-02-2008, 06:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I've got a pretty fair stack of MM kits going back to about '75. The Hampden is definitely on the short "to do" pile. I doubt highly that I could do as well as you are doing, Don. I wish I had the answer to your wing problem, but I'm sure you'll sort something out. Remember that we're all aware of just how much it can take to get some of these kits together!
Chris
Old 02-02-2008, 07:14 AM

I appreciate the supportive comments, Chris!

Here is the situation: the wing frames fit together just fine, but I haven't yet been able to make the wing skins fit the frames and/or to make the inner and outer panels match up.

Since I don't have any backup (and the limitations of my computer-scanner/printer lash-up mean that the scans I made do not match the colors or size of the original kit), I am very hesitant to do any cutting until I am absolutely sure of what I am doing -- and too much messing about with this soft, fuzzy paper is likely to cause rubbing damage.

I may get to work on the nacelles and undercarriage as a break from fiddling with the wings.

Don
Old 02-02-2008, 12:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Don

If the wing don't fit throw away the frame except for the main spar slide the wing on and stuff it with tissue paper or cotton wool works just as well. You only really need a stub spar anyway.
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2008, 02:07 PM

Barry -- Thanks for this advice. It may come to that, although the problem isn't exactly that the wing don't fit the framework, but that the parts of the wing don't match up. I will continue to play around with it for a while and keep your solution in mind (sounds like it may have future application, especially to the 1/48 models that I prefer).

Don
Old 02-03-2008, 09:13 PM

Status Report

Just finished watching a very exciting Superbowl game, but wanted to provide a photo to show the state of play on the Hampden. It's a bit lumpy and has some gaps and mismatched panels, but work continues. The tail assembly and inner wing frames are in and it looks like the skins of the inboard part of the wings will fit okay. The next challenge will be fitting the outer wing panels, then I can get on with the undercarriage and the fiddly and dangly bits.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
OTDAEABT Contest - Maly Modelarz Handley Page Hampden-hampden-29.jpg  
Old 02-04-2008, 04:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Excellent work!
Looks like you shouldn't have any problems with rigidity of the wings. This sturdy framework should be able to withstand casuall handling with ease.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:31 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Excellent - I love seeing the shapes of bombers in paper.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:07 AM

Thanks, Mike and Dan. It means a lot, coming from modelers of your skill.

I agree about the bombers, Dan, and would love to see what you could do with this Hampden.

Don
Google Adsense