PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Other builds

Old 05-07-2024, 08:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Stash reduction builds

I was going through my stash, thinking about what my next project might be. In addition to published kits by the various well-known publishers, I have quite a collection of miscellany, and I’d guess I’m in the majority. My stash includes Scissors and Planes aircraft, some KoolWheelz from Airdave, Volker’s advent calendar models, postcard models, free samples from publishers, and random downloads from the Internet. These are the models that don’t take a long time to build. So, since I just finished a long term project, I thought I’d build a few of them for quick gratification.

My rules: a model may not take up more than 2 pages, I’ll pull them out in the random order they are stored in, and I won’t build two models by the same designer back-to-back. So it’ll be a pretty random sampling.

First up: a 1:48 Regulus 1 cruise missile designed by Eric Truax in 2005. As I recall, he sent me this model to thank me for my finding him some reference materials on a Bomarc. My stash copy lived in my desk at work for years and got liquid on it somewhere along the way, so I had to find a fresh copy of the file on the Internet to print. Today I’m housesitting for friends, so I built it up. I made a few mistakes. At first I thought it had a bullet nose formed by petals. I did a great job, but it actually has an air intake. Oops. I reprinted the page. And I had a little trouble getting said intake into the nose, so the nose has some very minor crumpling. The only mistake the designer made was omitting a sliver of the “N” in “NAVY” on the starboard side. Fit and marking alignment were quite good, and instructions were exemplary. Model comprised 2 pages. So, I’m off and running!
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3248.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3249.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3250.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 05-08-2024, 06:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Huh, I've just made my stash problem worse by designing my own kits...!
Old 05-08-2024, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Pretty slick looking Regulus, Anne!

I applaud your systematic approach to reducing the stash. My approach is to acquire more models.

Don
Old 05-08-2024, 04:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
This is why I design one, I build one, I design one, I build one, I design....
oh wait...
haven't designed anything for some time.

Okay, I don't design one, I build plastic one, I don't design one, I build...you get the point.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 502.39 MB
Nice Regulus!

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 05-09-2024, 04:24 PM

I see that everyone has their own approach to managing their stash! I had a coworker who would go home every night after work, download any new free models he found on the Internet, print them out, and sit happily in a comfy chair looking through his stash. He never built one. It took me a while to realize that he was enjoying our hobby in his own way, and there was nothing wrong with that.

But I acquired my stash with the intention of building, so I herewith present my second “stash reduction” model. The subject is a Messerschitt KR200 Kabinenroller, or “bubble car” as they were called in the U.S. “Kabinenroller” translates to “Scooter with Cabin”, and the design makes more sense to me when I view it in that light, rather than as a very small automobile. It had less than 10 Horsepower, which is quite a lot less than the average riding lawnmower. It may be most widely known for being the transportation for Cousin Itt in “The Addams Family.”

It’s a postcard model printed by P.A.R.C. in Handewitt, Germany. They no longer seem to be in business. I bought the postcard as a souvenir during a long-ago trip to Germany. Dimensions of the uncut postcard were 10.5 x 16 cm. (a little over 4 x 6 inches), and the printed side was glossy, while the side for writing on was matte. Construction took two days of intermittent work — one to cut out the seven parts (with lots of gluing tabs), and one for edge coloring and assembly. Assembly was straightforward, though a bit fiddly. The completed model is about two inches (5 cm.) long, which works out to a scale of about 1:56. I think it captures the overall look of the original rather well for a simple, boxy model.

In other modelling news, I treated myself to a new paintbrush for edge coloring, and sent off an order to Modelik for laser-cut frames for several models in my stash.
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3252.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3254.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3255.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3256.jpg  

Last edited by Amccombs3; 05-09-2024 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2024, 07:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I admire what you're doing here, Anne, and I enjoy seeing the models you're building.

Nice work on the scooter with a cabin.

Don
Old 05-12-2024, 12:56 PM

My third stash reduction model is giving me trouble. The subject is the Pilsum lighthouse, a sector lighthouse that marks the entrance to the Ems river in Germany. The model is a postcard model by Wilhelshaven in 1:250 scale. I got the model for free at an IPMC convention, as I recall, though I no longer remember the details. It’s a charming, colorful model, like the lighthouse itself.

The lighthouse has eaves brackets and stanchions which (I think) support a cable railing around the perimeter of the roof. I really wanted to make these details because I need practice in working with very small parts. Sadly, I couldn’t do it. The paper keeps delaminating. At this point, my best choice is probably to cut off the three stanchions and one bracket that I did get on. My limit seems to be the tiny red ball atop the roof. It’s not perfect, but it’s OK. Does anyone have suggestions for working with super-tiny parts? Lots of kits that I’d like to tackle have them.
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3258.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3262.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3260.jpg  
Old 05-12-2024, 03:08 PM

I haven’t completely lost my ability to work with small parts. Stash reduction model number 4 is the Mitsubishi “Zero” A6M2 Reisen, in 1:300 scale by Scissors and Planes. Bruno issued this model in two liveries, silver and green, on one sheet. I had built the silver one some time ago and couldn’t bring myself to throw away the green one. It was next in the stack and I’m happy with it. Wingspan is approximately 1-5/8”, so there is the obligatory “tiny model on fingertips” picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Stash reduction builds-img_3263.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3265.jpg   Stash reduction builds-img_3266.jpg  
Old 05-13-2024, 02:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.69 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amccombs3 View Post
My third stash reduction model is giving me trouble. The subject is the Pilsum lighthouse, a sector lighthouse that marks the entrance to the Ems river in Germany. The model is a postcard model by Wilhelshaven in 1:250 scale. I got the model for free at an IPMC convention, as I recall, though I no longer remember the details. It’s a charming, colorful model, like the lighthouse itself.

The lighthouse has eaves brackets and stanchions which (I think) support a cable railing around the perimeter of the roof. I really wanted to make these details because I need practice in working with very small parts. Sadly, I couldn’t do it. The paper keeps delaminating. At this point, my best choice is probably to cut off the three stanchions and one bracket that I did get on. My limit seems to be the tiny red ball atop the roof. It’s not perfect, but it’s OK. Does anyone have suggestions for working with super-tiny parts? Lots of kits that I’d like to tackle have them.
I'd just use superglue and/or paint to hold the layers together.
Google Adsense