PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > Other Things We Do & Make

Old 06-11-2017, 09:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
Toy Soldiers...

After I bought a magnifying visor I discovered that it helps with other hobbies besides just paper modeling. I used to paint a lot of wargaming figures. So maybe I can revive that hobby, too.

Here are some figures I painted with the help of the new visor. These are 1/32 scale plastic British and Zulu warriors. That... and because the image hosting service I've been using is going kaput at the end of the month so I'm testing out a new host.

~~ Current Project: 1:100 Skipjack Kathryn ~~
~~ First Project: 1:250 Zeppelin LZ-17 Sachsen ~~
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2017, 09:18 AM

Hmmmm... quite a few 'not quite innocent' ads included if you click on the picture to view the picture full size. Hmmmm.... Still, I suppose a free service host to make money somehow to remain a free service.

Old 06-11-2017, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
On PostImage, which we use on another forum, there are semi-frequent problems with availability of the service. It does seem to be a bit better of late, since they switched things to have a button for 'Allow Sponsored Ads'. Only, whether the box is checked or not, you still get ads
Old 06-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Really like your painting skill Jeff. Your figures could almost be image stills from the movie "Zulu". Got more pics or dioramas of your painted figures?
Old 06-11-2017, 05:50 PM

Thanks, VK. PostImage seems rather so-so to me. I'll keep an eye out for availability issues and keep looking for a host that I like better.

Thanks, Elliott. I don't have a gallery, per se, but I do have an old blog where I documented a lot of my figure painting activities: Petite Guerre .

Google Adsense
Old 06-12-2017, 04:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I used to paint SF and Fantasy wargames figures - for a while I was a figure painter for a manufacturer. Here is a pic of what I have in my display cabinet ( more figs in the loft, both painted and unpainted ! ).
Attached Thumbnails
Toy Soldiers...-14972617035471442364758.jpg  
Old 06-12-2017, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Hey y'all; Your figures look good. This too is a fun hobby - well, that should be one of those "it goes without saying" things, after all, would we keep doing it if it wasn't fun?
I'm sloooooowly working on people and ships for a pair of games named War Rocket and Retro Raygun.
Don't have anyone in this rural burg to play the games with, but I still have fun painting the miniatures.

Without playing in Google, isn't there a long-time maker of more or less 1/32 scale figures named Britains?

Not been there in person, but these might be of interest. And I expect there are some more around the planet.

Home - The Toy Soldier Museum
Quote:
Welcome to The Toy Soldier Museum -- a treasure trove for toy soldier collectors, military historians – anyone with a curious mind. Click here, to see dioramas on display at the museum. We are in the Pocono Mountains in northeast Pennsylvania, less than two hours from Manhattan and Philadelphia. Click here for an area map. Opened in 1991, the museum contains 3,000 square feet of toy soldier displays, battle dioramas, civilian scenes, regimental militaria, and over 70 authentic uniforms. click here for a video tour. Click the "articles" tab, above, for interesting tales of history, illustrated with toy soldiers.
Toy Soldiers Museum
Quote:
The Toy Soldiers Museum, located in Tampa, FL, was founded by Allen Friedman in 2000. The museum features an expansive collection of over 93 unique dioramas, consisting of hundreds of toy soldiers. Take a trip back in time with these fascinating exhibits, many depicting real historical events and figures. Highlights of the toy soldier collection include dioramas of the Orient, the Civil War, World War I, World War II, Ships and Pirates, Cowboys and Indians, Airplanes and the Medieval Era.
Playing in Google right quick found this from 2010 in Spain, plus others in Ireland, Australia, France.
http://gadling.com/2010/12/28/tin-so...m-in-valencia/
Quote:
Valencia, Spain is home to the Tin Soldier Museum, Museo L’Iber, the world’s largest collection of tin soldiers (they have over 80,000). They have tin dinosaurs, tin designer fashions, tin Iraq war scenes and tin royalty. The museum is actually an amazing historical resource, as important political and international scenes from across the ages are set up and portrayed as accurately as possible in tin and toys. Naturally, Spain gets the most attention. If you’re going for a visit, which costs just €4, bring a guide who can translate for you; they don’t have English descriptions for the exhibits. And, if you’re a collector, bring your wallet — there’s an impressive gift shop with miniature treasures you won’t likely be able to resist.
Google also found something only 100 miles from home - over in Kansas City!
The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures.
And I didn't realize those little green army men went that far back.
http://www.toyandminiaturemuseum.org...s/toys-go-war/
Quote:
"True or False? World events, including war, have influenced toys. True! You may have even played with some of these toys, from green army men, first made in 1938 by Bergen Toy & Novelty Company to Hasbro’s 1964 action figure G.I. Joe. War Games, a new exhibit at the V&A Museum of Childhood explores the role of warfare in children’s play."
Old 06-17-2017, 03:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.06 MB
Here is an interesting facebook group. Mostly off-topic but sure to please many here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Mili...mOurChildhood/

Cheers, Cliff.