PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-08-2010, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb

Well, I don't know yet where this is leading but up until now I think I am doing a testbuild of the SG. The fit isn't as crisp yet as I want it to be. The thickness of the paper used might be the culprit.
Anyway, I changed some stuff in Gary Pilsworth's Guppy. I copied the hull section, reversed it and made an inner bulkhead structure, cleaned the colours and redid the text along the sides. Different font and the subtitle it flew around with for a while. (Hope you don't mind, Gary!)

The paper I use is too thick, I know that for a fact. Perhaps even the scale is too big for the paper. I should redo it completely. But for now I consider this to be a testbuild, like I said.

The fit of the two main hull pieces wasn't good, I chose to cut off the glue strips and replace them for loose inner glue strips to let the hull parts align better. I printed out that page a couple more times on 1 A5 to have some backup parts.

I needed to have the hull open so I also had to make a floor. The tail was glued to a thick piece of mat card which I sanded down at the back to give it a rounded leading edge but a sharp trailing edge.

I am just making this up as I go, so I don't know where it will lead. For what it's worth, here's some pics of the results today.
Attached Thumbnails
1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-01.jpg   1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-02.jpg   1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-04.jpg   1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-05.jpg   1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-06.jpg  

1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-07.jpg   1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-08.jpg   1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-09.jpg   1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-10.jpg   1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-11.jpg  

1/400 Super Guppy unloading an SIVb-sgsivb-13.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2010, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
looking great so far
Old 12-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Nice job on contouring the fuselage! The basis of a realistic model.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:04 PM

This is just the first try. I kind of like it but it has to be better, much better. The shape of an aeroplane body in this scale is quite a challenge. I guess this is just the first, I want to get the parts tighter and better formed. Next step is thinner paper. I'll also try to get the insides of the Guppy printed on the b-side of the hull section. Tomorrow!

And Gary, If you have suggestions of any kind, I'd be glad to know. Thanks for a nice design!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.44 MB
That's looking great, so far.

I've always wished I had little tiny fingers.
Google Adsense
Old 12-08-2010, 11:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Way cool!

Good stuff, PK!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 12-09-2010, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Kosmo,

Great build of a great subject, and in the old Aero-Spacelines livery...Love it.

My older brother was one of the original Loadmasters on the Guppies. I went with my Dad and brother up to Palmdale in 1965 for my brother's interview with Jack Conroy. I was only 3 years old, but I still remember standing at the nose gear looking back along the left side of the fuselage. At that time, I believe the Guppy was the largest aircraft in the world. That day Conroy had several lined up wingtip to wingtip in various stages of modification from the 377.

My brother still talks about trying to cram the S-IVB into the Guppy...they had less than one inch clearance around the circumference of the booster.

I really look forward to seeing your finished model. Thank you for posting the pics.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:24 PM

Thanks, y'all. Great story, Steve. That must have been a great sight, especially when you are just knee high, in front of that weird big plane. I imagine you standing there, that nosewheel maybe even a bit bigger than yourself, looking up into that immensely huge cargo bay that towers over you like a green cathedral...

I still think the Super Guppy is an impressive plane to see. If you by any chance would own any pictures of the Cargo Lift Vehicle, it's the only thing I'm still looking for. I would like to see some more details of that thing.

The SIVb really was a tight fit, wasn't it? I must look into that, too. The model I printed out might just fit a little bit too easy into the Guppy's belly.

I started building the Guppy again, since I wasn't satisfied with the first result. I left that one behind and started experimenting with a third new hull section. Got to get it right. This really is a nice little challenge.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Great lloking build so far. Can't wait to see the newer version. Old looked pretty good to me!

It does look like quite a challenge!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Old 12-09-2010, 06:48 PM

Hi Mike. I still am not happy with the alignment of the hull sections. The red line aligns well on one side but there is too much difference in it on the other side. I am now trying to change things a little in Photoshop. Perhaps it is totally different in 1/144. The kind of paper and the size I work in might cause the difficulties. We'll see. First a good night of sleep ahead.
Google Adsense