PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Yes. As the DC said. You are definitely one of the outstanding major league paper modelers, Mike.

Don
Old 04-14-2009, 05:52 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Oslabaya Build - Railings

Last Week, Jim (Redhorse) asked for some detail regarding railing next time I made some. I have been working on the navigation deck, and have arrived at a point where it has become necessary to make some custom railing for a small section of deck that sits atop the armored conning tower. Following is my attempt at a step-by-step narrative.

Image 01 – This is a print of a section of bulwark & railing I will use as a guide to maintain scale and to keep things straight. Everything will be done in 28lb paper.

Image 02 – I start with a bran new shining sharp Xacto blade. The sharper the better. This image shows the ribbons cut for the horizontal stringers after the waste paper in between has been removed. (The vertical white lines are the markers on the cutting mat). I use a metal ruler as a “straight-edge” to help me cut these thin strands.

Image 03 – At this point, I go to Roman Detyna’s/Digital Navy website and study his elegant, ghostly waterline version of Oslabya. Located there is an excellent view of this small deck with railing. For additional inspiration and technical guidance, I refer to Oliver Weiss’ full hull rendition, a real tour-de-force of modeling skill and technique. I note the vertical support posts need to be properly spaced. So I print two copies of the pilothouse that will give me what I need, and glue them opposite each other. Then, with a pencil, I connect the position points.

Image 04 – This shows the results of cutting the verticals. Note: My knife wanders and I slice through the fourth vertical from the left as you can see in the image. So I cut a thin ribbon from another piece of paper and tape it into position (easy fix).

Image 05 – I put the “verticals” sheet over the “horizontals” sheet and tape everything down to make it secure for paint.

Image 06 – This image shows the paint still glistening wet. I use oil based Testors flat black. I dab it on one side, and then let it dry for 24 hours. Then turn it over and dab more paint on the other side. The paint not only gives it the color needed, but it serves as the glue. No other adhesive is used.

Image 07 – After 24 hours of drying, this shows the railing after cutting and trimming.

Image 08 – This is the result after some gentle shaping, ready for installation.

Image 09 – Here is the assembly secured while the glue dries. I apply a tiny bead of glue to the base of each vertical post.

Image 10 – Here is the finished assembly next to a prototype piece on the left. I am not certain you will be able to tell in the image, but the section on the left shows, that with a little extra care, the horizontal stringers can be cut thinner, giving the rail a more authentic look.

Conclusion – This does not top PE. However, it has a decent appeal when viewed with the naked eye. So, there you have it Jim.
Godspeed,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-01-railings.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-02-railings.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-03-railings.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-04-railings.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-05-railings.jpg  

Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-06-railings.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-07-railings.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-08-railings.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-09-railings.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-10-railings.jpg  

Old 04-14-2009, 11:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Excellent tutorial, Mike! I really like seeing workable alternatives to commercial parts, and this looks really good. And being paper it's even better. Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Great write-up with photos showing the steps... I like the idea of the balsa block for a jig (at least it looks like balsa )..
Old 04-15-2009, 01:32 AM

It's a good idea, Michael. I once cut out rectangular waste in between horizontal and vertical stringers but it was time consuming. I will follow your way
Google Adsense
Old 04-21-2009, 06:03 AM
POTM Moderator

Oslabya Build - Update Navigation Deck

The navigation deck continues to take shape. I installed the “railed” piece of upper deck atop the armored conning tower and then went to work manufacturing and installing the three sections of bulwarks, port, starboard and aft. I used some 1/32” basswood strips in between the inner and outer walls to give the “S” shaped pieces on each side of the pilothouse proper width. They were made from 65lb card.
Kindest Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm92-navigation-deck.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm93-navigation-deck.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm94-navigation-deck.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm95-navigation-deck.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm97-navigation-deck.jpg  

Old 05-01-2009, 06:05 AM
POTM Moderator

Work continues as follows: The navigation deck has port and starboard wings, requiring railing and guns. This section of railing required some extra care, due to the bends and curves, as compared to the long straight sections that will adorn the main decks. As for the guns: This warship was equipped at the lower end of her armament with 21 three-pounders. Both wings get one, and each gun consists of 7 parts. As I began putting the first one together, I was struck by the nice amount of detail. So, for the fun of it, I built a 1:125 scale prototype. It is made of 65lb card and 28lb paper. The smaller 1:250 version is made of 28lb paper, except for the gun barrel. It exceeded my paper rolling skills, so I manufactured it out of wood, and then colored it with a felt pen.
Regards,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm05-three-pounders.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm06-three-pounders.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm11-starboard-wing.jpg   Oslabya Build - Digital Navy 1:250 scale-pm12-starboard-wing.jpg  
Old 05-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Eternal Member

Really good looking details Mike

Old 05-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Very nice!
Old 05-01-2009, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Wow, Mike. Wonderful tutorial about making your railings out of paper! You should extract the post and stick it over in the Tutorials section so that it doesn't get lost and so that people can find it in the future.

Wonderful work.

Carl
Google Adsense