PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 04-22-2009, 01:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
HMS Sealion Sub Marine

I had make this before, but ruin the small tower inside the large tower. The part of the model is not made well and it was not my fault.

So I make another now. It is simple model but very hard to visualize how the parts they go. It is best to leave some parts un-glue so you can fit together then add glue when you see how it goes.

This is the second body put together with tower.

And the small tower after I fix it properly. Much of the kit part was cut away and made seperate. You can not fold it as designed and it was missing areas on the back to cover a hole that it made.

But when done it is nice model. It has you make parts from pin and wire for the periscpe and the antennae are made from Bamboo Shrimp Skewer and color black with Sharpie pen. The model did not have base, but I used the base from USS United States but made short and altered. Now I can put Sub Marine with MTB 102. I find pictures of the real HMS Sealion and it is very old Sub from around 1937 and it does not look very much like the model either. The model is very short. I try to make the water look wet but with so-so luck so far.

I apologize if my photos they are not as clear as they can be. I did not wear my eye glasses when I take them, and did not know they were not clear. I can only see them clear without my glasses when they are large on the computer. So I did not realize they were blurry.
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2009, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Your photos still look good to me as do the models shown in them.

Nice job!

greg
Old 04-22-2009, 02:07 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Wink Nice work...

Well, you wore your glasses when you made it! Nice job!

Those micro models have the advantage of detail and easier to store than the big ones I mess with. I like this sub.

True using a light bit of Elmer's glue over the waves you've made. It will dry clear if you've spread it thin enough and you a=can see through to the drawn wavers under the thin glue topping. This gives texture. To make it look wet, you can cover the Elmer’s with a very thin coat of nail polish. To get real fancy, you can increase the Elmer’s in places to look like the top of a wave, but don’t put the nail polish on the top; giving the illusion of sea foam.

This is cheaper than resin and works well for tiny kits.

You can find some nail polish, can't you?

:D

The DC
Old 04-22-2009, 02:12 PM

Thank you both. Yes I have much nail polish. I have thought of tryng this... I have very thick, very clear Aleens Clear Gell glue. I use it already to fill gap where the boat touch the base. I might build up shape of wave with the gell. Also, I paint the base top surface with clear varnish. I had not used the spray varnish as on the MTB as it dries very slowly and it takes 20 layer to build up gloss and I was lazy.

My eyesight it is bad without glasses for close up. I have also no depth perception so I do things often by touch and feel with my fingers. I have very good senses. It does not handicap me and I can make small things with patience. And I can compensate and play tennis well now. But if I not wear glasses with camera for small things, I can not see if it is in focus automatically or not. I assume it is but sometime it is off a bit.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
Thats a cute model (can a submarine be cute?)

Who is the publisher?
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2009, 03:19 PM

It is the old Micromodels set British Fighting Ship. I think it is their very first set. It comes with Sub Marine, MTB boat, HMS Victory, Ark Royal, Cossack, King George V. There was things wrong with some of the model so this set was done over with better versions.

I take suggestion from DC and ahve started to build up waves with clear glue/gell.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.50 MB
Hey lookit that! I can see them alright. I shall have to remember that trick.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 AM

I had made three layers of water after that. But today I had visitor who broke the model badly. Now I do not feel like fixing it
Old 04-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Discipline...discipline...

Patient, young grasshopper.

Now that you've moved from the "Cheapest glue you can find for water" position, we can work on more strenuous and difficult ones.

And remember old (poorly conceived) Irish saying:

"He who breaks model of micro-sub,
Must repay tenfold...
With morning donuts and a new pair of Keds..."

These little sayings come in handy.

BTW: You water motion trick looks great. You got it down; the glue a cheap texture, the nail polish adding a gloss.

Try making whitecaps by shaping the drying glue off the bow, next time. You can add a very tiny amount of flour at the top of the whitecap, but don't gloss it with nail polish. The contrast of the glossy water and matt power will create an illusion of movement.

Now go get your paybacks!
:D

The DC
Old 04-23-2009, 11:36 AM

Actually in photo I had only made first layer of glue. I make rivules of glue to act as waves and also wake. But as it dries, it flattens out and more applications are used to build it up. I did not add nail polish because 1) it was glossy already and 2) model got smashed before I had finished that.

I make this model twice now.
Google Adsense