PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
A couple of quick pics with the five yea old boy. He dose not seem to mind the errors. This is of the good side of the ship. So far...so much to go.
Attached Thumbnails
my Russian Battleship-141408.jpg   my Russian Battleship-141437.jpg   my Russian Battleship-141450.jpg  
Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 PM

A couple of close ups showing the God-all full details. :( I know that some of the mistakes I made I own out right as my own, but others, such as the rear hull not lining up and missing the red color are problems with the model. Again, these might be easy corrections if I could run the proper programs but...I cant. Not yet.
Attached Thumbnails
my Russian Battleship-142618.jpg   my Russian Battleship-142550.jpg   my Russian Battleship-142503.jpg  
Old 07-23-2009, 03:14 PM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Not bad CT. I think this is the first one I have seen being done in the white color scheme.
Mike
Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
CT, I think you might be being a bit harsh on yourself on this build - I really like what I see in your pics and if anything, this thread is encouraging me to have a crack at this one as well (once I actually finish at least one of my current projects!!) I haven't had a lot to do with ships but have spent some time on and around them and my experience is that the only time a ship's hull bears any resemblance to a baby's backside is when the champagne bottle bursts on the bow - after that it's all stress and strain...
Old 07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
You have done extremely well to get so far with that particular model.

Google Adsense
Old 07-23-2009, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
hahaha ...you're still lightyears ahead of me!

my battleship would look more like a bathtub! lol
Old 07-23-2009, 04:42 PM

Thanks guys. Now that I have been getting to some of the other details, I am liking it a little better. My big issue is the connection between the upper hull and the red lower hull, or lack there of! I may just cut a piece of narrow colored paper, black may be, and glue over the length at water line. This would hide the gaps and bumps to a point. I could do it in red or white, but because it would be noticeable any way, I think I should make it look like "I meant to do that". I still have no idea were a lot of the parts go, but I will carry on.

Warnings so far for this great free model.
1) the keel length is about 1/4 inch short for the length of the upper hull plates.
2) the lower length wise formers fit well, but will ned to be gapped if you lengthen the keel.
3) the two part starboard upper lengthwise formers work, but the three part port formers are wrong and need to be measured and cut to match the starboard.
4) The back most bottom hull plates are identical, or two starboards. One needs to be flipped to make it a port.
5) Number "70" are stars-ladders and the spot marking them needs to be cut through for an opening. At first I thought these were covers of some sort and glued them flat.

That's the big issues so far. The decks seem to line up just fine other then being a bit on the long side by about 1/8 inch or so.

And, as Golden Bear mentioned, the decks seem real bright! I left mine be for now, but I may ad some light stain to them to tone them down a bit.

Back to laundry...cooking and so on...
CT
Old 07-23-2009, 06:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I think it looks pretty good. And I'm glad you're plugging away and not just quitting, you always learn a lot from building this kind of kit. Plus they always seem to look better than you think they will when you finish
Old 07-23-2009, 06:37 PM

I will say this, with only a little work, the ships boats did come out real nice, and in 1:250 scale they will work for many other ship models so even if I do just quit, and I wont, but if I quit now the bunch of ships boats are nice!

My next big issue other then matching up parts with there proper place will be trimming the front to look good. As I said earlier, the keel is a bit, long so the aft has a bit of a space, however, the front overlaps slightly. Because of were the sides meet up with deck fixtures, you can not just slide the sides back a bit. I can fix the back opening by piecing, and the addition of the tail piece will hide the piecing, but I will have to be realcareul on how I trim the fronts down.
CT
Old 07-25-2009, 01:52 PM

I have gotten a bit more done, and it is coming through alright. I am working on the air ventilators and I can not figure them out just now.:(

Ignore the brat child in the pics, he thinks h needs to be in every camera shot ever taken!
Attached Thumbnails
my Russian Battleship-154720.jpg   my Russian Battleship-154712.jpg   my Russian Battleship-154607.jpg   my Russian Battleship-154539.jpg  
Google Adsense