PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 07-18-2009, 10:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
my Russian Battleship

I am in the middle of running my wife's chat board on her blog talk radio show and decided to sneak over here to say hi! Those logged into the chat are busy listening to my wife roast some politician or another. Oh I like watching her get heated while she talks, her freckles come out!

Any how, I did some more work on a Russian battle ship today. That is, I got one ships launch done and another torpedo launching boat started. I downloaded this 1:250 scale model from a Russian site I was directed to from here. Pleas forgive me, I can not find the link just now, but I am looking. The site also has some other great downloads, but they are all in Russian.

This model is a battleship from around 1902 or 04 I think. It must have been a great ship, for even in a paper model their is a lot of detail. The ship launches alone are detailed with benches and a small torpedo tube or machine guns!

This model has been on the back burner so to speak, so I work on something from time to time. I have many models going on, but this one is intimidating, in part because I can not read the directions! Keds Girl Lala, you out there?

Any how Between my other builds, by cookie baking, bread making, house work and other choirs, I will work on this fine model. Slowly!

For now, back to my wifs show and my cheap beer! Ahhhh....beer.:D
Google Adsense
Old 07-19-2009, 02:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
I think the site you are after is: Navarin.Ru

Tim
Old 07-19-2009, 10:32 AM

That's the one! Thanks Tim. If you go to the Download page, the battle ship right at the top is the one I am working on, well I am working on the boats anyhow. I hope to have pictures up soon! So much going on these days!
Old 07-19-2009, 01:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
CT, I recently referred someone to that same model but was told that there are problems with it. I don't know about that but the price is right and it doesn't look too bad to me. I'd give it a try, but me, I'd redo the deck color first. Decks should be more like a faded tan (look at the Richelieu build that Barry's doing).

So where are your little boat pictures?

Carl
Old 07-19-2009, 04:39 PM

Here are a couple of shots of the boats.

As to the ship, the decks are going to stay that bright yellow this time. I printed these out some time ago, before I had Gimp. This free-bee is a good practice model for me, I have never done one so big with so many parts.

Carl, you have a number of ships I would like to build, and Digital Navy as well, but until I get a bit better at building, it would be a wasted effort. I really like the pre-WW1 era ships!
Attached Thumbnails
my Russian Battleship-071909_18271.jpg   my Russian Battleship-071909_18272.jpg   my Russian Battleship-071909_18281.jpg   my Russian Battleship-071909_18291.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-19-2009, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
very nice,the work you guys do on the small stuff gives me something to shoot for,keep us updated,doug
Old 07-19-2009, 05:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Yeah, I hear you about the color stuff. Just BUILDING is the most important thing so don't bog down on something silly like that.

Your little boats look damn fine (can I say that or do I need to say d*mn?) from here. It sounds like you may become a convert to the Light side if you are fond of pre dreadnoughts. I should warn you that it is addictive - I found my first book about them when I was about 15 and you see where I am 40 years later.

Carl
Old 07-19-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks guys for your comments.

I have always liked the Civil War era ironclads, but I have taken a real liking to the post Civil War to WW1 battleships and coastal/river monitors. Lucky for me, there are so many great models for this period out there!

As far as building goes, I always have so many things going on. I have at this time the a mini Gladiator started, the Bristol Fighter (it intimidates me!), the BA-3 Russian truck, and a test build of an ironclad for Dragos, plus this Russian Battle Ship.

Right now though, I have to get back to my dumplings, dinner is almost ready!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:28 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Nice work on those boats CT. I am also a fan of these "old" ships.
Good luck with this one.
Mike
Old 07-20-2009, 09:09 AM

Well, after dinner last night, I was able to start on the formers, and they are quite thick. I am using the back side of one of those super big sketch pads, the thickness of it is the same as the width of the cut out slots, so it is about perfect. Also, the art sheet was 2 by 3 feet so I have enough for all of the needed parts, and I was able to join the long card parts first, then glue them to the board as one piece. The center keel and all of the ribs are done, and with the addition of just one of the four long spacers, the ship is already quite stable. It is also gaining weight.

This is only my second full hall ship, and the first that I have made keel up. The torpedo boat from Digital Navy was the on other one with a full hull, but I actually made the waterline model first, then some days later added the hull.

I have a full day planned today, but if time allows I will sneak in and get some more done, and may be a couple of quick shots of the formers also.
Google Adsense