PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Software

Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Sure guys, I can add 300dpi mode back. I removed it because for most PDOs I've seen high dpi is useless - the texture resolution is too low (e.g.: 200 and more dpi on a 1024x1024 texture spread over more than quarter of a page is overkill).
400dpi can be added too, but there's a drawback to high dpi modes: the export time and file size increases roughly exponentially. As for export time, I made the export faster on multicore cpus, so it should be better now. As for file size, there's hardly anything I can do except using lossy image compression, which I rather won't do. In addition, there's a pretty big chance that you won't see any advantage of 400dpi over 300dpi on colored prints.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.39 GB
300 dpi would be OK for me.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:46 PM

I just had an idea - by scanning the texture coordinates and area of each part it should be possible to pick appropriate DPI automatically. The user wouldn't be required to pick DPI then by default (but manual override would stay, of course)
Old 01-06-2015, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 32.15 MB
Thank you Revell-Fan.
Anyhow, if Imcold is so kind to add the options DPI up to 400, it would be great. Sometimes I need to post-process the pepakura (hi-res. version) developments with Corel Draw: it's a pity to loss the res. of the original texture files at the last step of the workflow... This could be crucial for big models...

Thanks Imcold for what you will do...

PINO
Old 01-06-2015, 05:33 PM

You are welcome, PP! BTW, I love your globes!

That's a GREAT idea, imcold! That would make editing much easier and faster since you won't have to work with too big images. But I must agree with PP, 400 dpi should be the max.
Google Adsense
Old 01-07-2015, 09:04 AM

I made a new version with the auto DPI feature. The DPI setting on the first page now shows the maximum DPI that will be used by the algorithm; 400dpi is added as well. The minimum DPI setting is under Advanced tab - by default it's set to 100dpi, which looks good to me on low-resolution parts, but you can raise it if you want.
Other changes:
  • improved SVG export speed
  • export fold lines. Hiding by angle is not yet supported
  • fixed crash when unfolded face has more than 4 vertices
  • fixed rare issue with broken textures in exported SVG files
Let me know how it works for you. Link: PDO tools
Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 AM

PDF support is finally added! Let me know how it works for you guys, it could certainly use some testing.
I also made some minor changes for better compatibility with the new Inkscape 0.91.
Link: PDO tools
Old 01-10-2015, 05:49 PM

Also, a new feature for next version: extended foldlines. The fold lines in Pepakura are drawn directly over the part, which spoils the texture. If you want to avoid it, you have to disable fold lines - but then you can't know where to fold. So my solution - extend the fold line beyond part's edges and hide the segment that's over the part.
Comparison (upper part - pepakura, lower part - exported PDF):

Old 01-10-2015, 06:34 PM

I have extracted both files the exe and the dll to the same folder and get an error message: The program couldn't be launched because libhpdf.dll was not found. Could you tell me what's wrong, please? (I'm using Windows.)
Old 01-11-2015, 12:56 AM

Weird, because it happens only when they're not in the same folder. Which version did you use, 32bit or 64bit? Could you please try the other one (if you're on 64bit Windows)?
Edit: I added a version without PDF support (doesn't need libhpdf.dll) in the meantime.
Google Adsense