PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Members Area > Museums, Air Shows, Events, Get Togethers

Old 04-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Paper Modelers at Army Heritage Days 2011 Carlisle, PA

Once again, the Paper Modelers’ Forum will be represented at the annual U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC) Army Heritage Days in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, on Saturday and Sunday, 21 and 22 May 2011. USAHEC will be open from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

As of now, Rick Steffers, Greg Perry, Kevin Stephens, Gil Benson, Mike Scalingi, and John Glessner will be there displaying models and demonstrating paper modelbuilding. We will have five tables in the corridor of the new exhibit hall adjacent to the Heritage Trail, where many activities will take place.

The theme this year is the American Civil War (ACW), so we will have some ACW models on display, including Gil’s Monitor with full interior and Greg’s Hunley. We will showcase models relating to the history of the U.S. Army, but will also be displaying other models to demonstrate the range and scope of paper models.

Thanks to Chris Gutzmer and ECardmodels, Chip Fyn and Fiddlers Green, John Bowman and Design Group Alpha, Ryan Short and Lbirds.com, and Cliff Button and Paper Tiger Armaments, who have generously provided models and authorization to reproduce models of U.S. Army aircraft, vehicles, weapons, and equipment for visitor handouts.

Here is the Army Heritage Day Website: http://www.carlisle.army.mil/AHEC/event/HertiageDays.cfm

And here is the thread about last year’s Paper Modelers’ Display: http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/museums-air-shows-events-get-togethers/8061-paper-modelers-army-heritage-day-2010-carlisle-pa.html

If you live anywhere near Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA, we hope you will stop by to say hello, to enjoy the Army Heritage Days activities, and to get acquainted with the USAHEC and the U.S. Army Military History Institute -- a great place to do research for future models, to learn about your own Army ancestors and relatives, or to make use of the vast collection of documents. There will also be a sale of used military history books by the USAHEC Foundation.

If you would like to participate by displaying models and demonstrating paper modeling techniques, please send Rick (rickstef) or me (Don Boose) a PM so we can coordinate your participation. Set up times are 4:00 to 6:00 PM on Friday, 20 April, and before 7:30 AM on Saturday and Sunday morning. You may certainly bring in models to display at other times, but you will have to carry them in from the visitors’ parking lot. Because of the number oif exhibitors, re-enactors/living historians, and visitors, the access road to the exhibit building will only be accessible to us at the times indicated.

We look forward to seeing you!

Don Boose
Google Adsense
Old 04-10-2011, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Can't wait. Look forward to seeing everyone again this year.
Old 04-10-2011, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Me too, although not sure what to bring given the "theme" for this year. Not many PBJ Mitchells flew in the Civil War.....

For what it's worth (coming from me), and paper modeling aside, the Army Hertiage Center puts on a stellar Armed Forces Day weekend event, and is well worth the effort to attend. For that weekend, in my local area of Washington, DC, Andrews AFB puts on the "Joint Forces" Airshow, which in alternating years means an aerial display of ether the USN Blue Angels or USAF Thunderbirds (plus other related aerial displays). Having been to enough of those with the boy(tm) in the past, I'm more that delighted to drive the 2+ hours to Carlisle to attend Army Hertiage Day at Carlisle (and this from a NAVY guy).

Highly recommended!

Mike
Old 04-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
With the except of one company that displays equipment (one that I used to work for until they decided I was surplus), I really enjoy this event. There's always something neat to see. I really enjoyed inspecting a German halftrack last year and spending time with my paper modelin' buddies.

Greg
Old 05-10-2011, 08:48 AM

A reminder that Paper Modelers will be displaying models and demonstrating paper modeling TTP (Army for tactics, techniques, and procedures) next Friday at Army Heritage Days at the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA.

As of now, Rick Steffers, Greg Perry, Kevin Stephens, Mike Scalingi, John Glessner, Gil Benson, and I will be there. Please stop by to see us and to enjoy the demonstrations, reenactors, exhibits, and other sights of Army Heritage Days.
The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)

If you want to bring models to display, please send a PM to me or to Rick Steffers (rickstef). There is a window for arrival and you will need a vehicle pass to get to the exhibit hall.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 05-11-2011, 12:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Guys...how can I get from DC to Carlisle? Is there a train? Not sure yet exactly when I get to DC but hoping for 21 May...
Old 05-11-2011, 05:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJPONeill View Post
Guys...how can I get from DC to Carlisle? Is there a train? Not sure yet exactly when I get to DC but hoping for 21 May...
No train, but I'm sure transport could be arranged. I'll PM you with my contact info. I'm sure some of the other attendees (Mike, John?) may be able to help out as well.

Greg
Old 05-11-2011, 05:29 AM

I wrote the following just as Greg was posting his more helpful info, but I will let the posting stand as general info. Hope you can link up with Greg!

Unfortunately, there is no train that runs through Carlisle. I wish there were. Amtrac runs to Harrisburg. The station is 22 miles from the U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center. I am afraid that the only practical way to get here is by car.

If you think you might be able to obtain a car, directions are here: The U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center (USAHEC)

Note that the annual Carlisle Import and Kit car show takes palce that weekend (http://www.carlisleevents.com/ce/events/import/), which might also be of interest to you, but it will mean heavy traffic and most of the hotels, motels, and B&Bs are already booked.

Don
Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
Wish I could be there, it's just under 3 hours for me. Hopefully next year.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 AM

We'd love to see you, Bob. If you come up next year, be sure to wear your Kelly Green Fiddlers Green tam o'shanter!

Don
Google Adsense