PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-27-2009, 06:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 880.4 KB
Thanks Jim. And no problem at all on the rail discussion. It was quite educational.

Yes, edge coloring is what really sets off a good card model. Grays are never a problem for me as I've found a good line of gray markers in various shades. Coloring Helena edges has been a beast. I've tried about three different solutions and the one that works best for the time spent is a navy blue marker that I have. However, it's a good bit darker than the printing. I have to use it very carefully too.

A technique that I used with great success, but much time involved was on the open web members of the search light platform. I actually used 5-N navy blue acrylic paint with a fine brush on the cut edges of those small members. The blend was fantastic, but you have to deal with dry time and application time which is quite involved compared to markers, pencils or pastels.

Anyway, I've got another photo update cued up for later today. Until then, talk to you later.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:12 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello EIB:
Thanks for showing the construction used on the interior of those turrets. Always interesting.
Mike
Old 11-27-2009, 10:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Edge coloring has always been a bugaboo for me as well, EIB has a wonderful touch with doing it, and what he does, with his specialized markers and paint matching, is a technique worthy of emulation.

I'm really amazed at the utter surfeit of skills and talent on this board, most of the time, and EIB is certainly one of those modelers from whom the rest of us can learn a great deal. This hobby can be simple as you want it to be. It can also be so difficult sometimes that you wonder how people can produce the things they do. EIB is one of those guys who makes the complex look easy.

Something I saw once on another thread is precisely applicable here:

Me builder. Him Artist.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:00 AM

Turret Progress

Thanks Michael. I probably don't show enough of the actual construction techniques. That's something I've done more on other builds. I need to get more into the "guts" of Helena on future assemblies just so you can see how some of these parts go together.

Charles, that's one of the most flattering things that's ever been said about me. :o I'm very honored that you think so highly of my abilities. Don't sell yourself short by the way. You have the art of designing in your resume. That's something that still evades me to this day. I hope to acquire your talent some day down the road.

Got a brief turret update. All hoods are complete and attached to the bases. All barrels are finish coated with 5-N. I noticed that in the last shots I uploaded that the inside of the turret covers were visible from certain angles, exposing that unsightly WHITE! As deputy Fife would say "nipped that in the bud" with some 5-N acrylic inside the turret face plate and the sides back a certain distance. Hopefully we won't see that unsightly WHITE again. He won't show his face around here anytime soon. :D

I hadn't taken an overall shot in a while, so I included one of those showing how HELENA looks with A,B and C in place. Now I just have to add the hatches, ports, range finders and other small elements to the three brothers up forward.

Old 11-27-2009, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Everyone else seems to have said it better but WOW! I hate the SFFML effect. Just when you think you have it all covered, out comes the Lens' fault finding effect! Good fix!
Google Adsense
Old 12-05-2009, 09:09 PM

Indy Update

Haven't done too much to the Helena turrets. I've added some small details and added range finders to "A" turret only.

Decided to take a break from Helena for a bit. I haven't tended to my 1/700 plastic Indianapolis in a while, so I picked it up and give it some attention. Added 5" deck guns, midships' 40 mm bofors, the photo etch crane for handling the float planes, started the forward superstructure and forward mainmast. I think I'll advance Indy a bit more before getting back into Helena.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 18.58 MB
Helena is looking great. It has to be difficult to detail her with such dark parts. The turrets are very nice.

I still have not seen Helena for sale anywhere. Does anyone know if this was a very limited run printing?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:01 AM

Paper Fan, you can pick her up at GPM.pl for about 70 zl. You can get the brass barrels and photo etch details for the kit there too. Good service and fast shipping for coming from Poland.

I think papermodelstore.com also has this kit, but I don't think they have the brass barrels and etch parts though.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking good, Mark! You've really got a handle on some advanced techniques there!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Thanks for the Indy update as well as the latest photos of Helena. You are doing a real service by preserving the history of these great ships in paper and plastic.

Don
Google Adsense